Baked French Toast, Spicy Stewed Pears

Good evening. Come on in and let's talk about some food I cooked today. I had a loaf of bread which I needed to use so I baked French toast. I doubled the recipe and made about 10 slices and froze the leftover slices. These are good popped in the toaster for a quick breakfast later. If you have raisin bread or french bread, this makes great French toast. Most any bread is good and I have tried several. My favorite are the breakfast breads for this will add some dried fruits. If you like, before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

Pears are getting ripe down here and a friend brought me a bunch. I made stewed pears and tried spicing them up and adding lemon juice and lemon zest. It is very good so I am sharing it with you. I am also slicing some of the pears and freezing them in quart freezer bags to make pear pies later. We also like for me to take the frozen pears and stew them a little with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Makes a good dessert and is really good on top of pound cake or vanilla ice cream.

Hope ya'll enjoy the recipes and come back to see me.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

Baked French Toast

Ingredients
4 slices bread - day old or older
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Instructions

Preheat oven 350 degrees

1.Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg in blender. Blend until well mixed.

2.Put bread in baking pan that's large enough to accommodate bread--slices barely touching.

3.Pour milk mixture over the bread slices. Let soak as little as 15 minutes, but overnight in refrigerator is much better.

4.Spray cookie sheet with baking spray or line with parchment paper.

5. Using a spatula, place slices on cookies sheet and bake for 15-20 min.

You can double the recipe and freeze the slices. Take the slices out of the freezer and warm in toaster oven or pop in the toaster for a quick and easy breakfast.


SPICY STEWED PEARS (SLOW COOKER)
8 cups peeled and sliced pears (I fill the slow cooker)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 cup brown sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon

In a large bowl, sprinkle the spices,lemon zest, lemon juice and brown sugar over the pears. Lightly toss using a spatula or hands. Put in cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.

If you cook longer, you can make pear sauce. Mash pears with potato masher. Can be kept in refrigerator for about 1 week or freeze.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments: