It's Beginning to Look a Little Like Christmas

I wish

Good evening, ya'll. Come on in the house and have a cup of hot chocolate for it is flat cold outside and I'm not especially fond of the cold. In fact, it is more than especially fond, I am not fond at all of cold weather for remember I'm a girl of the Deeeeep South and prefer warm to hot. Oh well, into every life a little cold must fall.

I am enjoying looking at other people's Christmas decorations for so far I have one candle and 2 Christmas scarfs on 2 tables. I do have a guest bed covered with unwrapped presents, a naked wreath, silk poinsettias and a string of lights. The plan is to make a new wreath for the front door and I wanted it to have lights since we have cleared the front yard of trees and you can actually see our front door.

When I went to a craft store yesterday to buy a lighted wreath I had the vapors and almost passed out from the cost. They wanted close to 70 dollars for a lighted wreath which wasn't very pretty. So, I decided to bite the bullet and make one. I found a naked wreath, some pretty deep red poinsettias and a string of little clear lights and will make it tomorrow. I already have lots of ribbon and can make a bow and all together it will be about 1/4 of the cost of the one in the store.

Now I knew all along I could make the wreath for I have made a jillion but I had the bright idea of letting someone else have the fun. I should have known what would happen for when I see the prices of "store-bought" items, I usually back out of the deal. Frugal is my first, middle and last name and I just can't stand to spend a lot of money on something I can do.

Yesterday I also needed to purchase a white blouse and a pair of black pants for our choir's Christmas music on the next 2 Sunday nights so off I went to one of my favorite stores. Now girls, I have a piece of advice for you - don't go to a store to buy clothes which has a full length mirror or you'll walk out like I did with nothing.

You see, I know I have put on a few pounds or I have to face the fact it is not a few but a lot. Several years back I went on the Weight Watcher program and dropped quite a few pounds and looked GOOD. Slowly, pound by pound, I have added it all back on my hips, stomach and other places and it shows, big time. It is to the point I can't ignore it any more.

The problem was becoming evident for when you can't hook, snap, button, buckle or zip your clothes without holding your breath, you have a problem. Not only do you have to hold your breath to fasten the clothes, if you breath afterwards they all pop off. The weight was there so what did I expect.

I found 4 dresses, not a blouse or pants, and went to try them on. Now I was smart and went up a size and they were those cute little sweater dresses which are so popular and off to the dressing room I went. After I went into the dressing room, I turned my back to that full-length mirror and began to disrobe and put on the first dress. Well, it wouldn't go down the hips so I tried the second. It did go on but when I turned to look in the mirror my mouth dropped open for it looked like I had been melted and poured in that sucker.

After I struggled to get number 2 off, I went for number 3 and this time I faced the mirror. Oh what a sight when I pulled off that dress! I will not shock you with the details but just imagine way too much flesh where there should not be any and you'll get the picture. Dress number 3 didn't fit either and I just gave up but that picture of me in the mirror was etched into my brain with battery acid, not to go away. I didn't have the heart to even try number 4 for it was the same size as the others so I knew it was a lost cause.

When my sweet and patient husband came to pick me up, I informed him I was going on a diet that minute and was going to lose some weight. Being a practical person and knowing myself like I do, I know this is going to be a long process and it won't happen before Sunday night. I faced the facts, went to another store today and bought some pants in a size I said I would never wear again. Black is said to make you look thinner but I am here to tell you it doesn't work but not being skin tight does help and I can button and zip without passing out from holding my breath. I also bought one of those body shaper thingeys that goes to the knees and hope I don't like a stuffed sausage when I have to walk down the aisle of the church to the choir loft. Maybe they will have the lights on dim and with the black pants I can be almost slim.

Today has been a struggle for after spending the morning shopping the car almost turned into Hardees for a burger and fries and then it wanted to go to Burger King for a shake and then Dairy Queen for ice cream but I resisted temptation and came to the house. I knew I had some food with a lot less calories here. Boy was it hard and I know it won't be easy for I have been down this road before - many times- too many times. Talk about yo-yo dieting, well meet the Queen of Yo-yos.

Now for those of you going through this same battle I will share some of my recipes as I fight this battle. Today I had canned tomato soup which I made taste like gourmet.

1 can tomato soup
1/2 can skimmed milk
1 tsp. basil - about 2 leaves if you have fresh-chopped
1 package of Goya Ham Seasoning
Pepper to taste
Combine in saucepan on medium heat. Heat until hot, simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring to keep from scorching and serve in a mug. I ate a few crackers while I sipped the soup and ended with an orange. Not sure what it is about sipping from the mug but it seems to taste better and takes longer to eat.

Not steak and potatoes but good.

This afternoon I wanted a mug of hot chocolate and I have discovered if you use the sugar free hot chocolate mix add a couple of spoons of flavored coffee creamer to the mix. Today I added hazelnut and it only added about 20 calories but makes the taste richer and fuller. I have also added the chocolate creamer and that was really good.

Well, I am going to eat an apple, a cup of yogurt and let that be supper tonight and ride the exercise bike for as long as I can without passing out. Now since this is the first time in a long time it will probably be about 5 minutes, if I'm lucky.

Ya'll stay in the house and stay warm and try the hot chocolate.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach
****************************************************************************

No comments: