Great Day To Be Alive




Good morning. Come on in and sit a spell with me as I drink my 4th or 5th or somewhere around there. I am a coffee addict and have no intention of breaking it for we all need at least one vice and that is mine. Now I may have few more such as having too many books and magazines, yarn, and other stuff but I am almost perfect otherwise. Now if you believe that there is some Okefenokee swamp land over in Waycross you would enjoy.

I wanted to share a good recipe I used yesterday. I found the basic recipe on the mixingbowl.com website but had to "doctor" it up a bit and plan to try a few more ingredients next time I use it. It is a good, basic recipe with ingredients most of us have at the house all the time and can be changed in several ways. Hope you enjoy it much as we did.


POTATO HAMBURGER CASSEROLE

Servings :8

Ingredients:
4 large potatoes (I used the baking potato but plan to use the golden next time)
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom soup - could also use cream of chicken or one of each
1&1/2 pounds hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
½-1 cup Grated cheese
½ tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
Milk

Directions:
-Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
-Spray or grease 2 Quart Casserole Dish or 13x9 inch baking dish
-Brown Hamburger, drain fat
-Add chopped onion and garlic before completely browned and continue browning
-add cans of soup to hamburger and stir well until warm
-add spices to taste
-peel potatoes and slice thinly
-place a layer of potatoes, overlapping, on bottom of sprayed or greased dish
-place a layer of hamburger mixture over potatoes
-Repeat until you have used all hamburger mixture and end with a layer of hamburger mixture
-place dish on a cookie sheet
-Pour in enough milk to cover
-Bake until nicely browned and very bubbly, sprinkle with cheese a few minutes before removing from oven and remove when melted.

I used cheddar cheese but plan to try a mixture of cheddar and Swiss. You could use any cheese you like.

To spice it up you could add some chili powder, creole seasoning, or any seasonings you like.

I brown my hamburger in the microwave until almost brown. I use a plastic colander placed over a glass bowl and this will drain all the fat off. Then I put it in the frying pan while still rare and add the onions and garlic.

I am going to freeze some of it today and see if it is good. I see no reason why it won't freeze well. When freezing casseroles, line the dish with foil and when the food is frozen, remove from the dish, fold and seal the foil, put in plastic bag and freeze. If you use a flat casserole it makes a flat package which stores better and I have found that putting foil package in a plastic bag protects it better.

Some of the ingredients I plan to add are drained water chestnuts or can of drained asparagus, maybe put some slivered, toasted almonds on top or fried onions. There are endless possibilities with this simple, tasty and inexpensive recipe.

Let me know if you try it and what you think of it.

Well, I have bent your ear enough for today so I am going to clean the bathroom - ugh - and dust mop the floors. Ya'll have a good day and come back to see me.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach
*************************************************************************************

No comments: