Quartet - by Frances Robson

Good evening, ya'll. Come into the house for the Net Porch is too chilly. The wind has been blowing like March and brought in some rather cool air. I hope it is warmer tomorrow for on Saturday it was in the middle 70's and I had on sandals and capris. Today it was shoes, socks and jeans. Welcome to the South Georgia in the spring. If you don't like the weather wait until tomorrow.
We had our food pantry open at our church this morning and it is always a joy to work with my team and to meet the people who come for help. It is so wonderful to be a member of a church who cares enough to help feed people. We are seeing more young couples come in which is a reminder that this recession is affecting people who would rather work but can't find jobs. Being able to help them with food, though not a lot, blesses them and me.

Being rather tired tonight I am going to share a good recipe I cooked this weekend and then sign off, take a bath, curl up with my book and probably go to bed soon.

I bought chicken thighs on sale this weekend for 89 cents/pound and had enough to cook a good meal and freeze 3 packages for later. I found this recipe in my Rival Crock-Pot recipe book. It is easy, delicious, cheap and nutritious. What more could you ask. Of course I tweaked it just a little and will probably tweak it each time I make it but I am a compulsive "tweaker."

Mediterranean Chicken

4 - 5 chicken thighs, breasts or legs - salted and peppered to taste

1 can or jar pasta sauce - I used Hunts spaghetti sauce with mushrooms - use your favorite

1 large onion - thinly sliced

2 cloves of garlic - finely minced

1/2 cup chicken stock or dry white wine - I used the wine

1/2 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional - 1/2 cup sliced, pitted, green olives

Combine pasta sauce, sliced onions, garlic, stock or wine, cumin and Italian seasoning in crockpot. Stir and add salted and peppered chicken turning the pieces to coat with sauce. I sprinkled it with a little fresh rosemary to add another level of flavor. Cook on low for about 8 hours or high for about 6. Serve over cooked pasta or rice. I used spinach pasta cooked in chicken stock. Wild rice will be good or pasta of choice. Cooking your rice or pasta in stock adds a great flavor and if you don't have stock add chicken bullion to cooking water. This is so much better than plain, salted water. I like to leave the bones in while cooking because it adds flavor.

I took the leftover pasta, poured the chicken and pasta over it and refrigerated it to use later. It should freeze well also. I think I will sprinkle it with cheese when I get ready to heat it. I hope you enjoy it and let me know.

That's about it tonight for I am quite worn out. Talk to you tomorrow and ya'll come back to see me.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: