Duck from Lake Eufaula by Frances Robson


Good morning. Come on in for a glass of iced tea and sit a spell. I have chicken in the slow cooker or crock pot for supper and I have time to relax for a minute. Talking to you on the 'Net porch is fun and I enjoy it.

This chicken recipe is good and I know you will enjoy it. I buy chicken thighs, drumsticks, and chicken breast when they are on sale, repackage in 4-6 pieces/package and freeze. I can buy 10 lbs. at the time and get about 4 packages to freeze and use later. Saves a lot of money.

I hope you enjoy this and let me know if you cook it.


Slow Cooker Chicken

• 4-6 chicken thighs, breasts or other pieces – Use pieces with bone- less expensive and better flavor
• 1 onion – sliced
• 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
• Roasted Garlic & Herb Rub – I used Kitchen Collections
• 2 carrots – sliced thickly
• 2 stems celery – sliced thickly
• ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 cups chicken broth
• Add other seasonings of choice – make it yours

Sprinkle the chicken pieces with garlic herb rub, Italian seasoning, and a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Place ½ of the sliced onion in the cooker.
Layer chicken pieces on top of onion slices
Add the carrots, celery, and minced garlic
Add the chicken broth or stock. Cover and cook on high about 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours. Check after 3 hours to see if cooked thoroughly.

There are several ways to use this chicken and the stock. Remove the chicken, strain the stock, save the vegetables. Cook rice, noodles, fettuccine, dumplings, or grain of choice in the stock. Add the reserved vegetables if you choose or puree them in blender with added stock for soup. Serve with the chicken.

You can freeze the leftover chicken and stock for use later.

Today is going to be another hot one but with a chance of rain later in the day. The humidity is awful but it is supposed to help your complexion stay younger. Not sure it is working for me for I continue to have dry skin and wrinkles. I have also stood over the dishwasher when I opened it while it was hot and steamed my face. Occasionally I will hold it over the kettle's steam but you sure have to be careful or you can burn your face big time. I promise you won't do it but once.

Women will do some strange and dangerous things to try to stay young and beautiful for you men. It is little difficult when you begin the project with a face which was never beautiful and try to make it pretty. Kinda like the sows ear into silk purse thing - impossible. Doesn't keep us from trying, however, and I am still waiting for age to make me beautiful. I am beginning to think that is a myth also for wrinkles and age spots aren't pretty no matter what people say. Aging is the pits.

Enough about impossible dreams and let you go for I am sure you have lots to do like me. The dishwasher needs unloading, clothes washed, bed made, and on and on and on. It's a never ending job, isn't it?

Take care and be careful of the heat. Drink lots of iced tea and stay in the house with the AC on high.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach



No comments: