Sweetheart Dessert

Pound Cake with Strawberries and Chocolate Syrup



Good evening and come on in out of the rain and cold for it is a bleak evening and getting colder by the minute. We need the rain but the cold can go far, far away. I am still waiting on the Climate Change or at least some Global Warming to come this way but at least we don't have snow and ice, yet. They say it's coming but maybe it won't, crossing my fingers.

I want to share my mom's sour cream pound cake with you for it is really good and makes a big cake. Pound cake is our favorite cake for we are not overly fond of icings and pound cake keeps so well. I also add extra flavorings to mine for a friend of mine adds 7 flavors to his but I usually add one or two and lemon and orange are my favorites.

The picture is one of the ways we ate it this week and it was really good. The strawberries are some I froze last year from a local farmer. This is the recipe for sauce I make although it is not thick but sooo good.

Strawberry Sauce

4 cups frozen strawberries
1 tsp. cinnamon
generous grating of nutmeg or 1/2 tsp. powdered - freshly grated is best
1/2 cup cranberry juice or orange juice
1/3 cup splenda

Place all ingredients except splenda in glass bowl and microwave for about 8 minutes. Remove from microwave, stir and add splenda. If the strawberries are really sweet, you may not need any splenda or other sweetener or maybe less than 1/3 cup. Don't overcook the strawberries for you want them to be thawed and soft but not mushy- they will still hold their shape.
These can be used as a dessert with a little whipped topping on them, a spread for toast, or on top of ice cream or cake. It is versatile and sugar free if you use an artificial sweetener.
This is the cake recipe and was one of our mama's favorites and mine too.

Sour Cream Pound Cake

Ingredients
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional – add both of these, I do.
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon orange extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Sift flour, measure 3 cups and then sift the baking soda and flour together. Add to the creamed mixture ½ cup at the time. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cook on rack about 10 minutes before removing from pan.

For the dessert above I cut a thick slice of cake and topped it with our strawberries and then put warm chocolate syrup on top of the strawberries. I put the bottle of chocolate syrup in the microwave for 45 sec. before putting over the cake. If I had some whipped topping, I would put that on before the chocolate.

It was delicious and you must try it. A great way to use the pound cake and next time I am going to toast the slice of pound cake a little before I top it. Doesn't that sound good?

Think I am going to fix me some right now for I have made myself hungry.

Take care going home in the rain and ya'll come back to see us.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, that cake looks tempting. That is the way to do a dessert right. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html