Chocolate Rum Pecan Pound Cake

CHOCOLATE RUM PECAN POUND CAKE
 
Good evening, ya'll and come on in the house for a glass of peach tea. This is my most favorite sweet iced tea and I found some really good peach tea bags yesterday and made a big pitcher of tea. I did not add the mint for I forgot it but it has come out of it's winter hibernation and is really pretty. Crush a couple of leaves and add to the peach tea and you will declare you have reached Southern Georgia heaven. You will have to try this and you can find these tea bags in most stores. Mint is also very easy to grow but be sure and plant it where you want it come back each spring and spread. You might want to plant it in a pot if you don't want it to spread all over.

Well tomorrow I am going to have a cataract removed from my left eye and next Thursday we will remove the one from the other eye. It will be so exciting to not have to wear glasses to put on my clothes, eat or do most anything. Wearing glasses since I was 15 and bifocals since I was 40 has been a pain in the beeeehind and not having to wear them will be wonderful. I probably will have to wear reading glasses but that is fine for I can pull them off and walk across the room without running into something. The first thing I am going to do is buy the hottest pair of sun glasses I can find for I have not ever been able to do that. Will take a picture and model them in a couple of weeks.

Have to go to bed early tonight to get ready for the big day but am going to share the best pound cake recipe I have ever made. It is moist and delicious and I know you will like it so let me know. It is from the Hershey's 100 Years anniversary book and I will be making it again and again.

Chocolate Rum Pecan Pound Cake Recipe

2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder divided
1/4 cup boiling water
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 1/4 c butter, softened
2 2/3 c sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 cup rum or 2 t rum extract 1/4 cup water
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t vanilla
3/4 c pecans chopped finely or walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 F .
Generously grease & flour or use dry cocoa a 12 cup tube pan. In small bowl mix 1/3 cup cocoa with ¼ cup boiling water until smooth and set aside. In large mixing bowl mix softened butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each egg. Add reserved cocoa and water mixture, beat well. Sift flour, baking powder, salt & cocoa powder together. Add to butter mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Mix in the chopped pecans or walnuts and rum.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Invert on a serving plate.
Cool completely before serving. I dusted ours with powdered sugar for it is rich enough without the glaze.

Optional: Chocolate Chip Glaze
3 T. butter
1 T water
3 Tbsps. Light corn syrup
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In small saucepan, combine butter, corn syrup and water. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, add chips; stir until melted. Cool Slightly and drizzle over the cooled cake.

Well ya'll pray for me tomorrow and I will post again soon.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: