Saturday's Thoughts

How are ya'll doing today? Hope as well as we are for this is the day the Lord has made, so we are rejoicing in it and praying He will send some rain to water it. We are over a tad dry, but are DRY. So please, Lord, send some rain, amen.

I am as busy as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, all rocking at full speed. In other words, I am chasing my own tale and running in circles. My "little" brother and his wife are coming to see us! We are so glad, for we haven't seen them since this past August at nephew Frank's lovely wedding to our sweet Christina. We didn't have much time to sit a spell and visit for you know how weddings are? They are wonderful, exciting and busy. So, we are really looking forward to their visit.

We haven't told daddy they are coming for he will forget it in about 5 minutes, so we are just going to surprise him. Thought we would bring him out to our home to spend the day and I know it will confuse him, but that is his life now and we just love him. You know, getting old is not all it's cracked up to be. You take care of yourself, eat the right foods, exercise, take vitamins to live to old age, and then it kicks you in the rear by running off with your mind. Daddy says it is the pits and I thing maybe he is correct. Think I will eat what I want, be a couch potato and see what happens.

A friend's daddy died last week at the age of 87, still smoking his cigarettes every day. Now his lungs were shot but his mind was clear and he said he had lived that long smoking so what was the need to stop now. He sat by the entrance desk of the nursing home and greeted everyone with a song and kept people amused. Not a bad way to go.

I wish ya'll were here to smell the food I'm cooking. It is a culinary delight - I learned this word watching Food TV, aren't you impressed? I have a big pot of vegetable and cabbage soup that I got at Weight Watchers, turnip greens, mini meat loaves and about to make a pound cake. Later today, I will cook some peas and cornbread and tonight I will put a roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes, cup of red wine and lots of garlic. Don't you know that will be stomach rubbing good?

The cabbage soup I make has onions, garlic, fresh, canned or frozen tomatoes, fresh green beans, zucchini and yellow squash, celery and about 1 half of a cabbage in thin slices. I cook it in chicken broth made from bouillon cubes and I add some Goya ham seasoning, salt, pepper and basil. I then take it and freeze it by the quarts and this is the base for several types of soup. Some of the additions I will make after I thaw out a quart is sliced smoked sausage or cubed ham or red beans, cooked chicken, etc. You use whatever you like to add and it makes a great meal, low in calories and very little fat or no fat. This will depend on what you add and at our house, that depends on what is in the cabinet or refrigerator. It is most versatile and you can just be creative or a chef. Another word I learned on Food TV. If you are a chef, you can chop things up really fast without cutting off your fingers and you get to wear a fancy hat sometimes. You also have other people to prep your foods and you just put it all together and take the credit.

Well, I must get back to work, still have dusting, putting up stuff and mopping the kitchen floor. Cooking sure makes a mess, or least I do. As Phyllis Diller once said, "You can eat most anything off my floor." Ya'll come to see us.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: