Saturday's Recipes & Tips

Good morning, ya'll. Come on in and have a cold coke. It is too hot for coffee, which I seldom say but after hanging up clothes, I am in a sweat. I thought I would share a new waffle recipe and a good pimento cheese idea with you this morning and some tips and best buys.
Hint of Orange Waffles
(Using pancake mix)
by Frances Robson


2 cups pancake mix (I used a whole wheat blend)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp. orange zest
2 TBSP. vegetable oil
1 tsp. Vanilla flavoring
Makes 4 waffles but can be doubled

Combine milk, orange juice, orange zest, oil,vanilla and mix well. I use a two cup measuring cup for this. Pour over pancake mix and mix until slightly lumpy. Do not overmix or they will be tough. Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown - about 5 minutes.
I use an icecream scoop to measure and my waffle iron needs about 3 scoops. If you will spread the batter over the iron and let cook just a minute, it will not overflow the waffle iron when you close the top.

If you don't like whole wheat mixes, you can use a mix of choice. I top them with cane syrup or chunky applesauce. I usually use applesauce to decrease the calorie count.
IF you have leftovers, freeze and pop in the toaster to heat for a quick breakfast. I like to toast them and put a piece of ham and applesauce on half, fold over and have a breakfast sandwhich. This would be a healthy and quick breakfast for kids for they could eat it on the way to school.

For a quick dessert, toast the waffle, top with fresh slices of peaches and fresh blueberries and whipped topping. This is really good.

Almost Homemade Pimento Cheese

1 large carton pimento cheese

1 package of cream cheese - large - room temperature

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Beat the pimento cheese and cream cheese until well blended, add seasonings, mix well and enjoy.

Now for a few tips and this week's best buys.

If you live in an area where you cannot have a clothes line (poor you), I found this folding clothes rack at Lowes. You can put it on the patio, deck or laundry room and dry your clothes. Saves on using the dryer and saves knits from shrinking. I like to hang my knits on racks to dry and then when dry place them in the dryer for just a few minutes to fluff. If the rack is in the sun, hang them inside out and they won't fade. This is my rack on the patio. I also use it when ironing and sewing. It is a good alternative to a clothes line.

The yellow dress is a knit casual lounging dress I found at Goodwill for $3.00. I plan to use it at the beach later this summer but it makes a great dress for casual lounging. In fact, it had never been worn, still had the tag.


I have been in a piddlin' mood this week and had these 2 wooden letters I had bought several years ago. They were in a clearance basket at Michaels and are initials in our family. I painted them with acrylic craft paints, and on the B I decoupaged some pictures cut from a greeting card and hot glued buttons for added interest. The R was painted and I glued buttons and some beads to decorate. The B had a hanger, but I attached a ribbon to the top of the R with thumbtacks on the back for a hanger. They turned out pretty well, I thought and our daughter and granddaughter will get a surprise this week.

I found these shoes this week at Big Lots for 5 dollars a pair. Needless to say because I am a shoeaholic, I bought them.
These are Sketchers and so comfortable and enough dressy to look good with most anything. There was a problem with my feet making a slurping sound when I walked due to the plastic soles. To solve this problem, I bought the thinnest, cheapest cloth insoles I could find, inserted them and no slurping or squishing. They are very light and comfortable.

These crocs are made by Capelli and are most comfortable. I like them because of the holes in the top. I like a little air to my feet.


This is another piddlin' project. I took 2 flower pots, turned the bottom one upside down and placed the other on top and hot glued them together. I spray painted them with the spray paint which sticks to plastic and ta dah a new planter with height. By the way, the plants are wandering jew and another vine in our yard which I snipped off, put in a glass jar and placed in the pot. A quick and easy, free plant.

Nuff said, good eating and happy piddlin'

The Georgia Peach
***********************************************************************************************************

No comments: