Recipes





Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Omelet


Good evening, ya'll come on in to the 'Net Porch for a visit. Thought I would share some recipes with you which I know you will enjoy.

If you have ever grown cherry tomatoes, you know they are great producers - lots and lots of little tomatoes. They will also produce fruit until the frost kills them but I had run out of ideas for using them and I found this recipe. It is a recipe for oven-dried cherry tomatoes. I found a couple of recipes I liked and kinda made up my own and they are good. This is my gift to you today.


Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes


30 cherry tomatoes (about - can be less or more) I used the oblong shaped cherry tomatoes
2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Italian herb seasoning mix
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional - cayenne pepper for a little heat


Preheat oven to 250 degrees
1 large baking sheet with raised sides - jelly roll pan, lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray.

Wash tomatoes and let them dry on paper towels or clean dish towel. They need to be dry so the oil will coat them. Slice off the stem and cut in half vertically. Mix the olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Pour over the tomatoes and mix gently. Place on baking sheet cut side up. They will shrink in size so you can place them close together but only one layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. I like mine a little salty and I used sea salt and coarse pepper.
Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 2-3 hours. Taste them after about 2 hours and remove from oven when the taste is like you want it. Store them in sealed containers in refrigerator or can be frozen to use in cooking. I ate a whole bunch when I took them out of the oven. Drying them makes them sweeter and less acid and they are delicious.

I plan to use them in pasta salad, green salads, and heated and put over hot pasta with Parmesan cheese. Today I put some in an omelet with cheese and onion and it was very good. They would also be good processed in food processor with a little olive oil and spread on toasted french bread slices.


Easy Egg Omelet


4 eggs
6 Tablespoons water or milk (I find milk makes them a little tough)
1/8 cup finely chopped onions
1/8 cup finely chopped green or red bell pepper
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
8 - 10 oven dried cherry tomatoes (depends on size)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Separate the yolks and whites of the eggs. Beat the yolks until smooth and well blended. Add the water or milk and mix well. Beat the egg whites until frothy but not stiff. Slowly fold in the whites with the yolks. Do not beat.

Preheat curved bottom skillet sprayed with cooking spray or use an omelet pan. This is a pan which is hinged in the middle and you divide the eggs between the 2 halves. Easier to make and omelet but not necessary. Sprinkle the egg mixture with salt and pepper and sprinkle the onions, pepper , dried tomatoes, and cheese on the eggs. Cook until eggs are set and fold one half of omelet over the other half and serve.

I served this with toasted English muffins and fresh cantaloupe. Very good.

Hope you try these and enjoy

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach


*************************************************************************************

No comments: