Good evening and come on the house for it is below freezing outside and this is SOUTH GEORGIA and 4:00 in the afternoon. It is not supposed to be this cold down here and I can't get warm. We have the central heat on, an electric space heater and a fire in the fireplace and I just put on a thermal lined sweatshirt. When I get cold it is hard for me to get warm.

We enjoy the fireplace not only for the beauty but for the warmth when sitting on the hearth. I was sitting on it earlier this afternoon, resting my head on my hands and went to sleep. Thank goodness I woke up falling forward and not backwards. Being full, warm and relaxed will lead to a nap every time but I think the bed or lounge chair would be safer.

I tried a new way of cooking waffles this morning for brunch. Now for those of you who don't know what a brunch might be, it is "breakfastlunch" shortened to brunch. We ate breakfast about 12:30 PM for it took me that long to thaw out so I could move. Cold weather, old age and creaking bones lead to a "snap, crackle, pop" experience and it takes a while to get going in the mornings. Since cold cereal didn't sound too good I got out the waffle maker and the waffle mix and began to concoct. I will not leave a recipe on the back of a box alone but have to "fix" it and most times it turns out delicious. If it doesn't I'll never tell :)

I was using Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Blend pancake/waffle mix and doubled the recipe. Freezing the extra waffles makes for a quick and easy breakfast next week. You can freeze 2 or more per plastic bag, pop them in the freezer and all you have to do is heat them in the microwave for a good, hot breakfast.

I hope you enjoy the recipe and let me know how you liked it.

CINNAMON PECAN WAFFLES


Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.

1 1/4 cups Aunt Jemima pancake mix (you can also use the white flour mix)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
cinnamon sugar (I make mine with 1 part cinnamon to 2 parts sugar- about. I really don't measure but just dump until it looks like I want it.

Combine the milk, egg , vanilla and oil in large cup. Combine the mix and cinnamon and add the liquids and stir until large lumps disappear. If you stir it until all the lumps are gone you will have tough waffles. Stir in the chopped pecans. Let batter rest about 5 minutes. Pour desired amount into waffle iron and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. I sprinkle heavily and bake until steaming stops.

I served with homemade syrup and link sausages and fresh citrus fruit salad. The sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on the top before baking makes a little crust and is delicious.

Another way to serve them would be to open a can of apple pie filling, heat and pour over the pancake. This would make a good dessert and if you added a scoop of ice cream before the warm apple filling it would be scrumptious. Think I will try that this week.

Ya'll enjoy the waffles, stay in the house and keep warm and come back to see me.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach
*************************************************************************************

No comments: