High Chair and Bread



Noah

Taylor


Good evening. Ya'll come on in the house for it is cold and getting colder. Now let me tell you, I am not happy. We live in South Georgia for a reason - it is hot and doesn't get too cold. The weather person is now saying we are going to get SNOW tomorrow. This is not good!

We have been in snow in Plymouth, NC and Columbus MS, and an ice storm in New Bern, NC many years ago. So I can truthfully say I have been there and done that and I didn't like it then and don't want it now. It is cold, slippery, slidey and dangerous and I can't drive in it which causes me great anguish. I have gone through a traffic light sideways down a hill, slid down our driveway, tried to keep the car between the ditches and froze my ya ya off so don't want it.

You see I have a haircut appointment, grocery shopping and a visit to Goodwill planned for tomorrow and it is 30 miles away. If I don't get to get my hair cut and do my shopping it will be a sad day for me and a frustrating one. Our Noah is coming next weekend and we don't have a high chair or booster seat so he can sit at the table. He will only be an occasional visitor so I see no sense in buying a new one, do you? Hence the visit to Goodwill.

The picture above is Noah sitting in his grandmother's high chair. He is the 4th generation of children to eat in this chair, off this tray. Isn't he a fortunate little man? It has been used by numerous Polk offspring and is still in wonderful condition. The tray cracked years ago but it was carefully glued back together and is as good as new, almost.

Our other little beauty enjoying spaghetti in the antique high chair is Taylor, our great-niece. She not only likes to put it in the body but on the body also. As you can tell, sitting in this chair where her mama and granddaddy sat is a wonderful experience and the good food helps immensely.

I guess instead of a high chair or booster seat we could do like our grandmother Polk would do when we visited them. We ate a long table with a bench on each side which seated about 6 people. She would get a syrup bucket for us to sit on or as we grew larger we progressed to a Sears Roebuck catalog. This was fine for us as long as we could reach the table and eat her good fried pork chops, great, big biscuits and cured bacon and ham. They had a smoke house and smoked their pork which they had raised, killed, cleaned and smoked. It was good stuff and those buckets or catalogs worked just fine.

Speaking of eating, I found this recipe below on a wonderful blog site -http://wiseanticsoflife.blogspot.com/2010/02/raisin-nut-quick-bread-recipes-from.html


I made it today and look forward to toasting slices of it tomorrow. Now I did have to add my touch so I added lemon zest and fresh, squeezed lemon juice. This gave it just a little kick and it is very good. I also plan to use dried cranberries or blueberries in loaves and I think some chopped nuts will make it really special.
Try it and let me know what you think. Just click on the little "Comment" box at the bottom of the posting and send me a note.



Raisin Quick Bread

1 egg
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. Lemon zest
1 cup raisins

Wash raisins and drain. Beat egg, add milk, and mix together. Combine with flour sifted with baking powder,sugar,and salt. Add raisins and lemon juice and beat thoroughly. Spread in a greased, paper-lined bread pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack for about 10 minutes and remove from pan. I used parchment paper to line it with and left about 1/2 inch of paper on each end and used that to remove the loaf. Works well and bread won't break apart.

This is a dense bread but not heavy and will be fantastic toasted and buttered for breakfast. You know adding a little cinnamon would be good also. I keep thinking of possibilities such as orange zest and orange juice rather than lemon and mixed dried fruit to make a fruit bread. It should freeze well and will make great presents.

Well, I have bent your ears enough for today so will say good night, don't let the bed bugs bite and sweet dreams. Ya'll back to see me.

Nuff said.

The Georgia Peach
*************************************************************************************

No comments: