Taco Mac and Cheese Casserole



Good evening from a hot South Georgia and I love it. It is finally my time of year - hot and sunny. Come on in and have a glass of tea or coke for you do need to drink a lot of liquids and these are the only 2 I drink. Water has to have tea infused in it for me to drink it. Water was created so we could make sweet, iced tea. Add a little lemon and a sprig of mint and you have nectar from the gods.

We are celebrating a new member to our family today. Our granddaughter and her husband gave us a 9 lb. 21 inch baby girl named Josie. She has black hair and her big brother of 2 whole years has proclaimed that she is his baby. Sure hope that lasts when mama gets home and there is not room for 2 in her lap. He tends to be a mama's boy unless Grandpa Robby is around and then no one is like Grandpa or P Pa as he calls him. We are looking forward to getting pictures soon and I will surely share and we look forward to making her acquaintance.

I made a really good recipe for supper tonight and thought I would share with you. The original recipe came from Kraft and I wanted to try it but I didn't have the taco mix. Needless to say, mama taught me a long time ago not to jump in the car and go 5 miles to town to buy a packet of taco mix but be creative with what you have in the cabinet. I looked up taco seasoning on the 'Net and found what I could begin with and came up with a good casserole.


This is the recipe from the Kraft website:

Taco Mac Casserole

What You Need!1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese Dinner 1 lb. ground beef 1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Taco Seasoning Mix 1 cup TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Mild Salsa Make It!HEAT oven to 400ºF.

PREPARE Dinner as directed on package. Cook meat with taco seasoning.

LAYER seasoned meat, Dinner and salsa in 8-inch square baking dish.

BAKE 20 min.

***********************************************************************************
This is the recipe I created and it is really good. It will be inexpensive to make and you can feed a whole bunch of people with 1 lb. of hamburger and a box on Mac and cheese mix. I used a mix with the packet of soft cheese but you can use whatever you have. If you don't have a Mac and cheese mix just cook about 1 cup of good macaroni and stir some cheese in it after you have drained it and it is hot.


Taco Mac and Cheese

1 box Mac and cheese mix of choice
1 lb. ground round or chuck
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
3 tsp. or 1 tbsp. chili powder (more or less depending on taste)
¼ cup chopped, roasted red peppers (I use the canned ones)
½ cup salsa – mild, medium or hot – your choice
1 cup grated cheese (Use your favorite cheese or cheeses)
Salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare the Mac and cheese mix as directed on box.
Brown hamburger meat in large skillet. As the meat browns add the onions, garlic, cumin, paprika, and chili powder and cook until browned. Remove from heat and stir in the peppers and salsa add salt and pepper to taste.
In casserole dish layer ½ of the Mac and cheese, layer of meat mixture, layer Mac and cheese and finish with meat layer. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes.

Serves 6
The next time I make it I am going to mix Jack cheese with the cheddar to top it and maybe combine several cheeses. Whatever is in the fridge will do.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did for it is really good. Tomorrow we will reheat and I plan to freeze some for later and I will let you know how it freezes.

Ya'll be careful going home and come back to see us again. Will have the tea or lemonade ready. I will post my good lemonade recipe real soon but I am a little tired tonight. I had the blessing of working in the food pantry at our church this morning and that is rather tiring but such a blessing.


Take care,


Nuff said,


The Georgia Peach


No comments: