Mint Jelly

Southern Wrought Iron by Frances Robson

Good evening. Come on in the house and have a glass of tea and if you like I can put in a sprig of fresh mint. Mine is growing like a bad weed or a good mint. If you grow mint, put it in a place in your yard where you don't mind it spreading but it smells so good. Most of the time I keep a vase full in the kitchen window and when I need a deodorizer I crush several leaves. It also roots easily in water so you can share with your friends.

I may try to make some mint jelly this summer to use with pork dishes or with beef or maybe some chicken. When I was growing up in South Alabama, sometimes we would have mint jelly and I remember it being very good so I think I will try it. If you spread it over cream cheese and serve it with Club Crackers or Ritz crackers it is really good. There are some recipes which use apple juice with the mint but I like the plain mint jelly but may try it with apple juice. Here is the old-fashioned recipe if you want to try it.


MINT JELLY
________________________________________
1 1/2 c. fresh mint, packed
1 box Sure-Jell
4 c. sugar
Crust mint leaves and stems. Add 3 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and measure 3 cups mint infusion. Add few drops of green food coloring to tint. Follow package directions for Sure-Jell to make jelly.

If you try it let me know for I would like some comments.

We had a good day today. I went to Valdosta to get my hair cut and it is always a good time for Robert has been cutting my hair for about 20 years. He also cuts lots of teacher's hair and with his wife being a teacher, I can always catch up on school news. More importantly he always makes my hair look good which makes me feel good.

Oh yes, I will have to tell you about my trip to Goodwill. I am looking for a small desk to use for a sewing table and I have decided that a small desk with drawers on one side will be just right. As I was looking around I found 2 square green storage jars. They are heavy glass with a large, round opening on top. I am storing raisins in one and pasta in the other and for about 2 dollars it is a good deal. Sure wish I could find some more for they are beautiful and almost look hand blown but I'm sure they aren't.

As I was leaving I was surprised to see the "Painted Lady" from the circus come in and I didn't even know the circus was in town. It was a little disappointing to find out it wasn't in town but an older lady dressed like the painted lady. I did a triple turn to take in the whole effect of the makeup, hair-do and outfit and then had to hurry to the truck so that I wouldn't laugh out loud. Talking about a lady who is comfortable in her own skin, she is one, for only a very confident lady could dress like this and go out in public.

Remember when I said makeup should accent and enhance not look like you have painted it on with a paint brush using primary colors? Evidently this lady did not read that posting or had a good, Southern Mama, or Southern Fashion Police in her growing up years. Let me see if I can describe this lady's entrance. She had on a large, pink striped mu mu, white sneakers, white socks, and a large, brightly colored tote bag. Her hair was cut in a short, curly bob and was quite cute until you saw the large, pink headband with huge, pink bow on one side. Not sure where she got the "do" but it was "done."

As my eyes traveled down to the face, it was a sweet, smiling face, with dancing eyes but oh me, oh my. The paint brush had found the bright pink blush and slathered it over the really dark makeup base. Eyes were darkly outlined with black eyeliner, mascara heavily applied and lord have mercy, the lips were heavily covered with neon pink lipstick. Oh me oh my, I am glad the "Fashion Police" were not here for they would have just fainted away. As for me, I just escaped before I was rude and laughed out loud and then the "Manners Police" would have told my mama on me.

Bless her heart, she was dressed to the "nines" and thinking she was looking good. Why oh why won't some people look in the mirror before they leave the house and take the blinders off. I will say she was matched for it was pink all the way. I better hush now for mama will be frowning from heaven and reminding me to be kind for after all she tried to raise a Southern Lady and we are supposed to just shake our heads and say, "Bless her heart." So I will just shake my head, grin broadly, and say "Bless her heart."

It was a good day even if I didn't find a desk and if any of you have one, let me know for I want to paint it and put my new sewing machine on top. Ya'll come back to see us and take care going home.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

*************************************************************************************

No comments: