Peachy Summer and Catalog Ads




Good evening and come on in for a glass of tea. It is hot as a "cat on a hot tin roof" today and I had the bright idea of picking blueberries at 12:00. Not too smart but was riding around in our EZ Go and saw they needed picking so I did. I picked most of them but will finish up in the morning - EARLY. I did have my cute, Southern Belle, straw hat on but I still got awfully hot.

We just absolutely love blueberries but we have let our blueberry bushes get overgrown with vines. They are really old and we need to get some new ones and I want to plant them closer to the house for they make a pretty shrub. This plus a good fruit is a winner for me and I'm pretty sure the new ones will be up here at the house. If you don't have any blueberry bushes, you need to get some for they are easy to grow. Buy them from a dealer who knows your area so that he can help you pick the 2 types you need for good cross-pollination. They are a great shrub and delicious fruit.

Yesterday I had some peaches I needed to peel and either freeze or bake something and I chose the latter. I haven't made peach bread in a long time so thought it was about time. This is my recipe I have adapted from several others and adding the lemon zest and juice, use almonds rather pecans, makes a delicious peach bread that should be called peach cake. The other step I add is sifting my dry ingredients together rather than just mix for I think it gives it a better texture and the cinnamon mixes in better.

This a very moist bread that toasts well and needs to be kept in the refrigerator if you don't consume it when it comes out of the oven. It is also quite rich and tastes more like cake than bread and you can freeze one of the loaves for later. I hope you try it and let me know how it turned out.


SOUTH GEORGIA PEACH BREAD


3 c. sliced fresh peaches
1 3/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 c. flour (1 cup whole wheat & 1 cup white or 2 of either)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter Crisco
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup finely chopped toasted almonds or finely chopped toasted pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

Puree peaches, zest and 6 tablespoons of sugar in food processor or blender. Combine and sift dry ingredients; set aside. Combine remaining sugar and shortening; cream well. Add eggs; mix well.
Blend in peach puree, then dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 well greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or until done.
Cool 10 minutes in pan; turn out on rack and cool completely.

A friend of mine told me that a deli here has blueberry cornbread and that it was delicious so I think I will find that recipe and give it a try. It it is good, I will share it with you.

As many of you know, I like to peruse catalogs and laugh at some of the descriptions. One I was perusing yesterday made me wonder if anyone proofs some of these adds from an outsider's point of view or maybe they think it is cute or whatever. Maybe it is my warped sense of humor but some of them just set my mind to rocking and rolling and it is a good laugh for me. Soooo, I thought I would share a few from the latest catalog of hunting and fishing and various and sundry other items. It's the various and sundry which get a little weird.

1. Easy-fit Waistband Stretcher - This is one I need for it says it will gently stretch the waistband of jeans, slacks and shorts so that you can move easier. You insert this stretcher ,which looks like a torture instrument, into the waist of wet clothes and it stretches them as much as 5 inches. --- I think this is great except for 1 minor problem. The waist is larger but what about the hips? You will have this nice loosely fitting waist and still have the too-tight hips. Won't that look a little funny and you have to do this each time you wash the garment. Maybe I just need to loose a "little" of my excess baggage around the waistline.

2. Spray-on Duct Tape - This is a head-scratcher. How can it be tape if it is sprayed out of a can?
According to Mr. Webster, tape is: " A continuous narrow, flexible strip of cloth, metal, paper, or plastic, such as adhesive tape, magnetic tape, or ticker tape." There is no way this can be sprayed out of can. People, this is false advertising and because duct tape is a staple item in every home it borders on blasphemy. Maybe they need to rename it something like "Spray on Plastic which looks like Duct Tape but Isn't."

3. Hidden in Plain Sight; Octagon Gun Clock - Now will someone please tell me how in the name of Dixie can you hide something and it be in plain sight? You either hide it FROM plain sight or you leave it out in plain sight - you can't have it both ways. It is either hidden or not hidden. Plus, if this item is advertised in every sporting catalog and magazine don't you think that if a robber is looking to steal a handgun he will first tear up all your clocks in the house to see if you have "hidden" your gun in a "plain sight." Get a grip catalog writers and think about what you are printing.

4. Guide Gear Lounge Pants - Field Tested - Nope, no way, no how do I want my lounge pants to be field tested before I get them. Can you imagine what could have been done in those pants before you get them? I want mine pure and clean and NOT field tested before I get them That is gross.

5. Feed the Cat Low Sneakers - This one is a "head scratcher." Do you wear these when feeding the cat? Can you wear them to feed the dog? Do I have to feed the cat in a low spot or will a high table do? Lots of unanswered questions here.

6. Noble Oxfords - I assume these are for nobility and not for the "plain" folks like me. Wonder if you feel like a noble when wearing them? Or does this mean that people who are scoundrels can't wear them because they are noble? Ponder this one.

7. Island Surf Splash Water Shoes - Now I have heard of specializing but this is ridiculous. When you have to start buying special shoes to splash around in the water and waves it is getting way out of hand. What do you do when you want to walk on the sand? I guess you have to get a pair of Island Sand Stay out of the Water shoes. Seems a little expensive to me.

8. Hush Puppies Offshore Sandals. - Here we go again. Shoes for wearing offshore but not on shore. What has this world come to when you have to buy 2 different pair of shoes to go play in the water? We just used our bare feet, thank you maam.

Well, ya'll come back to see me and maybe, just maybe, I won't be in such a silly mood but then maybe I will. Can't ever tell and that keeps life interesting.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: