Summertime Eats

Hillside at UGA by Frances Robson

Hi ya'll. Come on in where it is cool for it has been a hot, hot day and is still hot tonight. This was a good day to stay inside and clean out cabinets. We now have boxes for Goodwill and Habitat Restore and a little less junk at our house. I also know where some things are that I have been looking for a long time.

Today would be a good day for a picnic at the beach, by the lake or under a big tree down in the pasture. As children we liked to picnic up in the pasture, down by the creek or by the little spring down the hill from the barn. Mama would make us some peanut butter sandwiches, tea in a jar, and homemade cookies packed in a paper bag and off we would go on our summer adventure.

I still thank the good Lord that we didn't get bitten by a rattlesnake or cottonmouth moccasin for they were there. Mama always said that God takes care of children and drunks and I believe she was right for we always came back home safe and sound. Of course we would be wet and dirty but that can be taken care of with a bath and clean clothes.

Once we were wading up the creek with a friend who was our youth pastor for the summer. He liked to come out to our house and eat mama's good cooking and explore the woods with us. As we were wading up the creek with water about to our knees, Don, who was walking behind me, picked me up out of the water and a snake swam right between my legs and through his. Thank goodness Don saw the snake and the snake wasn't hungry. I think I remember getting out of the creek and walking the banks but who was I fooling? Snakes crawl on the ground but again the Lord took care of the children.

We had some wonderful times playing in the creek, wandering through the woods, building dams in the creek and playing in the water and the mud. I remember running through the pasture thinking I was flying I could run so fast. My feet would seem to leave the ground and I felt like was floating in the air.

My other favorite activity we had was lying in the grass up in the pasture and watch the clouds. The grass would be cool and we would watch the clouds and decide what they looked like. Our imaginations were huge and we would see puppies, cats, faces, angels or whatever our imagination could dream up. We would stay there for at least 3o minutes before Arvin would start picking on us and we would have to run home and tattle to mama. He couldn't stay still too long for he would have to agitate. He was our brother who was always getting us in trouble

Thinking about this today reminded me of my favorite sandwich but it was only for special occasions. Mama would make pimento cheese and we would make sandwiches, stuff celery or spread it on crackers. It was so good so I thought I would make some today but I played around with the recipe and this is what I made and it really is good. I hope you enjoy it .


4 Cheese Pimento Cheese Spread

1 cup cheddar cheese – sharp or mild - your choice
½ cup Feta cheese crumbles
1 cup Mozzarella cheese cut in small cubes or shredded
4 oz. Cream cheese
2/3 cup Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Grated onion
1 4 oz. can or jar or diced pimento
Cayenne pepper and salt to taste

In food chopper place cubed cheddar cheese and process until crumbled. Add the feta cheese crumbles, mozzarella and cream cheese and process until well blended. Add pimento, mayonnaise, pepper, salt and grated onion and process until blended. You can blend until it is smooth or chunky- your choice. Pour into bowl and stir until all blended and add more mayonnaise if needed. Store in refrigerator.

This is good as a sandwich spread or with crackers. Served with apple slices or celery sticks make a great snack.
Recipe by Frances Robson

Tonight I needed something to go with grilled chicken breast and found a box of rice pilaf in the cabinet. I didn't want plain pilaf so I looked in the refrigerator and found a few items I thought would make it better and this is what I came up with and it's good. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Confetti Rice Pilaf

1 box Rice Pilaf – I used Near East
1 3/4 cups Chicken Stock
½ cup Chopped onion
½ cup Chopped bell
¾ cup Chopped tomato

Bring 1 ¾ cups chicken stock and 2 Tbsp. olive oil to a boil. Add rice, olive oil, chopped onions and seasoning packet. Stir and return to a boil, cover, lower heat to low and simmer for 20 – 25 min. or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add the bell pepper and tomato, stir, cover and remove from heat. After 5 min. fluff with a fork and serve.
Recipe by Frances Robson

I hope you will take the time to go on a picnic. Your backyard, the park, the beach or spread a blanket on the front porch. Have a special time with your children and enjoy life a little. Also, take time to watch the clouds for it is amazing what you can see in the heavens.

Be careful going home and see you tomorrow.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach







No comments: