Leftovers



Good evening and come on in for a cup of coffee for it is cool, raining and turning cold outside. A perfect afternoon for staying warm and reading a good book or doing a little web surfing. I am not complaining for we need the rain but don't like the cold.

Have ya'll ever wondered why companies cannot leave their stores alone and not shift everything around? Our Piggly Wiggly here just did a huge renovation and added an Ace Hardware on one side - inside the store! A little strange but really nice for I can get those hardware items and not have to go to another store but they moved and rearranged the groceries.

Now I shop by habit and with my eyes almost closed and just barrel through the store. My list is even organized by the store layout so when you move it around I have a major breakdown. It means I have to rethink the list, shop with my eyes open and try not to backtrack but about 25 times. The more time you have to spend in a store, the more you are liable to buy so I wonder if this is why they pull these tricks on us every few years.

This really has gotten my panties in a wad at the Walmart where I have been shopping for years and years. They had this big idea of rearranging everything and it took me 30 minutes to find a pair of bathroom scales yesterday which is ridiculous. Then I began to look for a vest and looked high and low but nothing.

They have taken out all the racks and put in these walled displays so you can't see what is there unless you turn the corner and see it. You scurry around like a rat in a maze and still can't find anything and they have reduced the apparel inventory. It is bad, awful, and unfair and I am going to write Walmart and complain.

Now I will complain nicely so I won't disappoint my sweet Southern mama who tried to teach me how to be a Southern Belle so I will kindly tell them I heartily dislike the new arrangement and will go to Target if they leave it like that. Bless their hearts, they don't have a clue how to arrange a store to please women customers for we need to be able to scan a store not have to run a rat maze to find what we want. I told a sweet salesperson yesterday that if they wanted me to look longer and buy less they had succeeded and she said she didn't like it either. I wonder if men will every realize that if it is about shopping, they need to confer with the women shoppers and choose those who will state their opinions - nicely of course.

I will let you know how successful my attempt at influencing the huge corporation of Walmart turns out but I sure can shop another store if I have to. If you don't let them know how you feel, how can they fix it, right?

The recipe I have to share is one I made this week. I had some applesauce I had made and some frozen biscuits I need to use and I made some "baked" fried pies and they are really good.The applesauce was made in the crock pot and I am including the link for the recipe. Bought sauce will be fine or use a can of apple pie mix but the applesauce I make is sugar free, chunky and still has the peelings on it - gooood.

Let me know what you think about it if you try it.

Baked Fried Apple Pies

8 frozen biscuits – thawed
8 tbsp. Applesauce or canned apple pie mix
apple pie seasoning or cinnamon

Preheat oven 375 degrees
Parchment lined baking sheet

With lightly floured hands, take each thawed biscuit and roll into a ball. With rolling pin, roll each ball into a thin round of dough – about 4 inches. Place about 1 Tbsp. Apple mixture in center of each circle and sprinkle with apple pie seasoning or cinnamon. Don't over fill.

Brush the edges of the circle with water – use my finger. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a slightly floured fork.

Place the pies on baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet with spatula and serve hat with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

These are also good cold and make wonderful snacks for lunches or children to pick up and eat. I baked these rather than fry them and I used homemade applesauce which is slightly chunky and I leave the peelings on the apples.

Fried pies are great but I wanted to bake them to reduce the fat. The frozen biscuits worked well and tasted better than the canned ones so don't use the canned ones. You could brush the top with a little melted butter to make the browner and crispy but they are also good without it.

Enjoy them and again, let me know what you think.

Ya'll have a great afternoon and come back to see me and stay dry and warm.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: