Mama's Egg Custard Pie


Bradford Pear by frances robson


Good morning all and come on in the house for a cup of coffee. I am slowly getting started today and have lots on my "to do" list and as I sit here and look at the windows in the sun room I need to add washing windows to my list. However, with all the pollen falling and the dust from the plowing around us, think I will wait awhile.

The picture above shows our 2 Bradford pear trees but I wish you could see our town of Adel, GA . There are hundreds of these trees in all their splendor lining streets, driveways, and in yards all around the town. It looks like we are dressed for a wedding. I am going to try to get some pictures tomorrow to show you for it is magical.

I was looking through my first recipe notebook and found Mama's egg custard recipe and think I will bake one today for it is simple, delicious and a great comfort food. When we were growing up out in the country of Wilcox County Alabama, we had our own chickens and milk cow which provided abundantly. About once a week, when the eggs were piling up and we had too much milk, mama would make an egg custard. Sometimes she would bake it without the crust and that is good also. I have seen other recipes for this with other ingredients but to me, this plain, good, old fashioned recipe is still the best. The only thing I would add would be fresh whipped cream if you have company and want to impress somebody but I don't feel the need to impress anyone so I would serve it plain. I know I have posted this earlier, but it bears repeating.

Make one today and give your family a treat.

Mama's Egg Custard
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

In a medium mixing bowl whisk together eggs and sugar. Pour milk into a small saucepan and place over low heat until warm. Pour milk over egg mixture slowly, whisking constantly. Sprinke with freshly grated nutmeg, then pour into pie shell.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cook 20 minutes longer, or until custard is just set. Serve warm or chilled.
To keep the crust from browning too much, place foil strips over the crust before baking. I have taken a foil pie plate and cut the center out of it and invert this over the pie to be baked to keep it from browning too quickly. Works great.

Yesterday we went to our favorite theater for a live performance and as usual we were amused. We had to visit the nearby Sam's Club for a few (?) items. I never go in there and buy only what's on my list but that's Ok for I am woman, I can change my mind.

While there I saw the show - the shoppers - in all their eccentricities parade around the aisles giving their performances. The one which caught my eye is what I call "The New Daddy". There was a young man, with scruffy beard, shorts and flip flops giving his baby son his bottle. How sweet and thoughtful of him, I thought and then I realized he had brought this deed into the 21st century by adding a few props.

As he bent over the baby carriage, he had the bottle in one hand stuck in the baby's mouth, his cell phone in the other hand, and texting while he fed the baby. How exciting to see this daddy multi-tasking. Not many men can take care of a baby, text, and look so cool while doing it.

My next thought was, maybe not so cool. We have allowed our electronic mind grabbers take away some of our sweetest joys in this world. Holding that sweet baby in his arms, holding the bottle in one hand, talking to his son, and giving him all the love a daddy has would be absolutely the most rewarding minutes in that dad's life. His son loves to hear his voice and feel the security of his arms holding him and I just can't believe any text message is more important than that. Wake up daddies!

Then there were the usual senior citizens in their bizarre outfits strolling slowly, 2 by 2 down the aisles, getting in my way. I am a senior citizen, or old lady, but I can move rather quickly with a shopping cart and get a little irritated at those who could move faster but don't. It may be those black socks with the deck shoes, shorts and Hawaiian print shirts that is slowing them down or those women in their house shoes. Old folks, look in the mirror before you perform for us in public and observe how to look chic even though old. Give the rest of us a break.

That's about it for today and try the egg custard for it is good and so easy to make. Now ya'll come back to see me and my next posting is going to be a couple of biscuit recipes I found in my old cookbook.

Be careful going home for it will be raining soon.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach







No comments: