Carrot Cake and Pineapple Cupcakes




Good evening and come on in the house for a visit. It smells so good in here right now that I wish my 'Net Porch had smell for it is wonderful. I wanted some cupcakes to take to the beach with us and looked in my pantry and fridge to see what I had to work with and behold, Carrot Cake and Pineapple Cupcakes were born. Ta Daaaa!

I used a Duncan Hines Carrot Cake mix and because I didn't have canned pineapple, I used fresh pineapple spears which I sliced and chopped finely. The freshly sqeezed orange juice is so good and also gave me the orange zest. If you have to use the juice from the carton, be sure it is 100% orange juice and not orange drink.

Frosting is optional since it is rich and moist but if you do, use a good cream cheese frosting. Often I use the canned frosting and if you beat in about 1/2 block softened cream cheese, it will taste like start from scratch. I have found the cartons of whipped cream cheese work really well for this. I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of them while they were warm for we don't really care for frosting and to transport them, it is easier without frosting.

I hope you will try them for Roy said they are a "keeper" and I think so to.

Double Carrot Cake Cupcakes

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® carrot cake mix
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (or from carton)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple or 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple drained
1 cup finely grated carrots
1 teaspoon orange peel
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Frosting:
Favorite cream cheese frosting

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
2. Line 24 muffin cups with liners

1. In large mixer bowl, beat cake mix, orange juice and oil.
2. Add eggs one at the time and beat at medium speed until well mixed
3. Remove bowl from mixer and add pineapple, orange peel, vanilla, cranberries, and grated carrots and mix by hand until well mixed
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

If you want to frost, pipe your favorite cream cheese frosting on the cupcakes. I just sprinkle ours with powdered sugar while warm.

They are moist and the fresh pineapple and orange juice taste really good.

I hope you will try them and let me know what you think.

Ya'll come back to see me and be careful going home and I have to get ready to go to the Catfish House for supper. The catfish fillets are delicious and the hushpuppies are exceptional.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

1 comment:

Frances said...

It also makes a good muffin to eat for breakfast.