Yogurt Pound Cake











Good evening and ya'll come on in the house. It is a beautiful late spring day here in South Georgia and gorgeous outside. We have had a little rain and we just have to put our plants in our raised beds today. The tomatoes are going to be 3 ft. tall and still in the little pots if we don't get busy.
I am enjoying not having to wear glasses except to read and if the print is large enough I don't have to put them on. So far I have bought 3 pair of the little reading glasses and leave them where I usually read or crochet or on top of my head. Of course when they are on the top of my head, I forget they are there and begin looking for a pair. The other day I had a pair on top of my head and one on my nose and when I realized it, I felt a little silly but that is not unusual for as we grow older, our memory seems to fly away like the years. Having the cataracts removed was a great decision and I am so glad I did.

The pictures above are the little bunnies I made for our great grandchildren for Easter. I put the site below the pictures in case you want to try these for they are really easy. The little bags to put them in is my idea and I just crocheted a little pouch with a handle to carry the bunnies. The yellow one is for Josie and the blue one for Noah. I thought they turned out right cute.

I promised the sweet staff at the doctor's office a treat and thought about making cake balls but they are labor intensive so I found a pound cake recipe I have used before to make instead. It called for sour cream and I didn't have any so I substituted the yogurt and add the lemon extract to bring out the taste of the peach yogurt. It was really good and the office staff enjoyed it a lot.

This recipe makes a smaller pound cake due to fewer eggs and about 1/2 cup less flour but is rich, moist and delicious. You can either glaze it or sprinkle with powdered sugar. I plan to match fresh fruit with the flavor of yogurt I use as it comes into season - peaches with peach yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, etc. You can also top the slice with ice cream, fruit and whipped cream for a really special dessert. Let me know how you like it and give it a try.

EASY YOGURT POUND CAKE
Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup soft room temp butter

3 whole eggs 1 cup peach yogurt (use any flavor you like

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind (optional)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon lemon extract Directions

1. Place butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl and blend on low speed until mixed then beat at medium speed until fluffy.

2. Add eggs one a time and beat well after each egg.

3. Sift flour, salt, and soda together and add to egg mixture alternately with the yogurt.

4. Add flavorings and lemon zest and mix well but don't over beat.

5. Pour into a greased and floured bundt or tube pan

6. Bake 325 degrees F. for 60- 70 minutes or until golden and cake springs back when tested.

7. Cool upright in the pan for 20 minutes.

8. Remove from pan, cool completely. Glaze when cool. Glaze: 1 cup powdered icing sugar with 2 tbsp lemon juice.

If you don't have any cream to beat and I seldom do, you can use powdered milk. I keep this all the time to bake with and this is quite tasty and has a lot less fat.

Whipped Powdered Milk

1/2 cup ice-cold water

Small mixer bowl

1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk

Mixer

1/2 cup white sugar

2 tbsp. lemon juice

Put small mixer bowl and beaters in freezer until they are really cold

1 Pour 1/2 cup of ice-cold water into cold bowl.

2 Add 1/2 cup of nonfat dry milk. Beat the ingredients together well with mixer until soft peaks begin to form.

3 Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the beaten milk to chill for 30 minutes to one hour.

4 Remove the bowl and slowly add 1/2 cup white sugar, beating the ingredients as you pour the sugar.

5 Add 2 tbsp. lemon juice to the mixture. Stir the ingredients together with a whisk until they are all well incorporated.

6 Place the whipped topping on a favorite dessert

Be sure the beaters and the bowl are clean and grease free.

Hope you will enjoy the recipes and let me know. Ya'll be careful going home and come back to see me.
Nuff said,
The Georgia Peach

No comments: