WWII Ration Cookbook



Good morning and welcome back to the Net Porch. It is a beautiful day down here in South Georgia and I am enjoying my second cup of coffee so come on in and have some.

I have been cleaning out some old cookbooks that Mama and I had saved over the years and found this little book pictured above that is quite interesting. Rather than rewrite what I found on the Net, the following notes tell you about this little book

This collection contains a ration book and a cookbook using Swans Down flour, How to Bake by the Ration Book. The ration book belonged to Margaret C. Howell and has four pages of stamps remaining. The cookbook includes several different types of recipes that are low in sugar, shortening, and eggs.



The government gave ration books to citizens during World War II, when such commodities as gas and sugar were in short supply and needed for the war effort. World War II was a war that affected most of the world during 1935 to 1945




Since I was born in the latter part of this time period, Mama and have shared with me about how hard it was to get specific foods, tires, and gasoline and that it was quite a challenge to cook or travel during this time. The products which were in short supply were those which were necessary for the war and they were willing to do without to further this effort.

However, since mama loved to cook, I am sure she fussed a little for at this time we did not live on a farm where we had our own milk and eggs. After the war was over, she continued to use many of the recipes from this book and I have also. We were in college with a baby and many times rations were short at our apartment and I almost wore this little gem out.

We are in an economic war now and guess what? I went looking for my trusty little cookbook to use some of the recipes again. It is about worn out and I am going to scan and save it and then put it up in a protective sleeve for it is history and I don't want to lose it.

One of my favorites was Apple Pandowdy for they also wrote a song during this time with that title. The only change I make is that I use biscuit mix which I buy rather than make my own. You follow the recipe on the box for 1/2 recip or 1 cup of the mix. You need to try this for it really is good.

Apple Pandowdy

4 – 6 apples, thinly sliced (5 cups)
½ cup sugar
¼ tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp, nutmeg
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
¼ tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup biscuit mix
1 tablespoon sugar

Combine apples, sugar, salt, spices, lemon juice, water and rind. Turn into 8x8x2 inch pan. Cover and bake in hot oven (450 degrees) for 20 min.

Mix biscuit mix as directed, adding 1 tablespoon sugar to flour mixture. Turn out on lightly floured board and knead gently 8 times. Shape and roll into 8 x 8 inch square.

Carefully fit dough over apples in pan. Cut slits to permit escape of steam. Return to hot oven and bake 25 minutes or until crust is browned and apples are done. Serve warm, plain or with cream. Serves 8.

I hope you all enjoy this and I will post some others from this book for they are good ideas for living on less and eating well.

Ya'll have a great day and enjoy this beautiful spring weather.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: