Blueberry Bacon Waffles

Seagull by frances robson

Good evening and come on in for a visit.  We can sit on the 'Net porch today for it is getting cooler which we are enjoying unless it gets cold.  It was 87 at lunch and supposed to be 50 in the morning - welcome to South Georgia. This time of year we are up and down in temperature but just as long as it stays warm I am OK.

We spent several days at the beach on Jekyll Island GA last week and sure did hate to come home.  Ya'll know how much I love the beach and would be happy to be living on the beach year around.  I think I have finally figured out why I love it so much - I am the granddaughter of James Burt Williamson.  Granddaddy Burt never saw a body of water he didn't like and preferred it had fish in it for he would fish every day if he could find a water hole with fish in it. 

He carried several rods, reels, and tackle boxes in the trunk of his car all the time and when he left work he would find a pond, lake, creek or puddle of water to fish in before the went home.  This was every day except Sunday for he did not fish on Sunday.  In his 30's he became a bi-vocational preacher and was very strict in his observance of Sunday which meant not fishing. 

It was interesting he did not eat the fish he caught.  He would take it to someone he know would enjoy them and carry one or two home for Grandmother and Charlie or release them to catch again.  Seafood would be eaten occasionally but not often. He just liked the sport of fishing and enjoyed sharing his catch with other people. 

This may be where I got my love of being on the water, near the water or in the water and I prefer the beach.  Any beach will do but I think my preference is the Gulf Coast for that is where we went as children but now Jekyll is my favorite for it is only about 2  1/2 hours away and the drive is easy and I am anxious to go back.  Soon I hope but we will see.

This morning I wanted some waffles for breakfast and had a good blueberry pancake mix which makes good waffles also.  I really like the Krusteaz brand but any good mix will be fine.  I keep cooked bacon most of the time for I bake a pound at a time and keep it in the fridge.  If you bake it on a broiler pan at 400 degrees for about 20 min. or until crisp, it shrinks much less than when you fry it and all the grease drains down into the pan.  When you take it out of the oven, place the slices on paper towels and most of the grease is gone.  We like it this way much better than fried.

I hope you will try the recipe and like I have suggested, make a double recipe and freeze some to pop in the toaster later for a quick breakfast.  Let me know what you think about the addition of the lemon juice but I have found that lemon enhances the flavors of most fruit and brings out flavors and we like lemon.  I usually use fresh lemon juice but had to use the bottled kind this morning but freshly squeezed would have been better.  Enjoy!!

Blueberry Bacon Waffles

2 cups blueberry pancake mix
1 ½ cups water
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
3 slices cooked bacon – chopped
1 tsp. Lemon flavoring

Mix water, lemon juice, oil and flavoring together. Pour over blueberry pancake mix and stir until mixed but do not over mix. Will be slightly lumpy. Fold in bacon.
Let rest about 3 minutes. Bake in hot waffle iron according to instructions for the waffle maker.
Serve with blueberry syrup or top with fresh blueberries and whipped cream.

Ya'll be careful going home and come back to see me.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: