Gulf Shores, AL by frances robson

Good Sunday morning to all of you. I hope you are having a wonderful, holiday weekend and plan to go to church this morning for starting the day off with Bible study and worship will make it a better day. The recreation will wait until you re-create your soul.

It is beginning to sprinkle here, thank goodness and I hope it will eventually rain for we are pretty dry here. Everything is sort of droopy and wilted outside and the dust is really bad. I hate to think it will ruin your holiday but I think we need the rain more.

The recipe I am posting today has become a favorite for us. I planted 1 Japanese eggplant in the spring and we have gathered and are still gathering lots of eggplant. I like these for they grow long and slender and when you slice them, they are all about the same diameter. Fried is the way we like them best but I don't fry anything much anymore so I tried the roasted in the oven and it is delicious.

If you think the recipe looks incomplete, I didn't put specific measurements for it will depend on how many you bake. It usually takes about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil for 2 eggplant and I season according to taste. I use about 4 or 5 leaves of fresh basil and a generous sprinkling of the Italian seasoning, a little salt and freshly ground pepper. This is according to your own taste. The slices are about 1/4 inches thick but I sure don't measure so some are little more. If you slice too thinly, they will burn.

A friend of ours tried this last week and loved it even though they are not especially fond to eggplant. It's kind of like potato chips - you can't eat just one. I hope you will try it and you can use any eggplant but the Japanese are the best I have found.

Oven Roasted Eggplant

Eggplant sliced thinly – I like the Japanese eggplant
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped basil
Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Slice eggplant into thin slices – I leave the peeling on – into glass bowl. Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper and other seasonings and toss gently – I use my hands. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray and bake for about 20 minutes. You want them crisped but not brown.

Leave a comment if you tried this and let me know how you liked it or what changes you suggest for I am always open to suggestions.

Ya'll have a good Sunday and holiday. Have some fun and rest.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: