Sweet Potato and Apple Butter


Learning to Fly by frances robson

Good evening and come on in for a visit.  I love this picture I took back in the spring of a baby mockingbird sitting in a rose bush outside our window.  It was trying to learn how to fly and knew the rose bush would keep him safe and the rose was there to give him inspiration.  He rested there for several minutes admiring the beauty.

Our roses have been and are still blooming well.  I keep them trimmed back and they have done well but after all they are knockout roses and even I can grow them.  I enjoy cutting them and bringing them in the house for they smell like old-fashioned roses and last for days.  The bonus is that the more you cut them, the more they bloom.

I am still looking for low carb recipes and found a really good one.  Dr. Mansberger said his wife like the sweet potato butter she bought at a Mennonite bakery in Thomasville, GA so I bought some and agreed with her.  It is very good and I began looking for a recipe which would be similar.  I found one and am sharing it with you and of course I made a few changes like I always do. It called for water but I used lemonade for I knew it would a little tartness and a little extra flavor but next time it could be cranberry juice or whatever I have.  Apple juice would probably be best since you have apples in it.  Try it and let me know what you think.  Just click on the comment box at the bottom of the blog.

Sweet Potato and Apple Butter
Ingredients
  • 4 cups peeled sweet potatoes, cut into slices about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
  • 2 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup lemonade – or apple juice, water, cranberry juice or juice of choice
How to make it
  • Peel and slice the sweet potatoes and apples with a mandolin if possible. If you don't have a mandolin slice thinly with a sharp knife.
  • Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and stir. Cook on high until sweet potatoes are fully cooked. Takes at least 4 hours.
  • Mash or beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
  • This mixture will be a little thicker than apple butter.
  • If you put it in hot jars with fresh lids and bands it will seal and you can put in your pantry.
  • If not canned it will hold in the refrigerator for several weeks
I plan to use it on toast, English muffins, pound cake, or eat it by the spoonfuls.

Ya'll come back and be careful going home.

Nuff Said,

The Georgia Peach




No comments: