Toasted Pecan Bacon



Good evening and come right in and have a cup of coffee for it is quite chilly outside but it is December.  Christmas is coming and I am not ready, in fact, I have decorated nothing, nada, zero but will begin tomorrow.  At least I hope to get wreaths up and a red bow on the mailbox so we won't look like Mr. and Mrs. Grinch and slowly do the rest. 

 We are waiting until Dec. 19 to get the tree for our granddaughter and her family want to cut and decorate the tree and we are looking forward to them doing this.  It will be fun to watch our 2 great- grandchildren decorate a tree for that is what Christmas is all about.  It will be wonderful to have "little ones" here for Christmas for I love watching their reactions to the the lights, gifts and all the love which is poured out on them  We will have 4 generations here - our children, grandchildren and great grands.  How blessed we are.

The picture above is bacon, of course.  I bake all my bacon for it cooks evenly, shrinks less and all the grease drips in the pan underneath.  When you take it out of the oven place paper towels on the top and they will absorb all the extra fat off the top.  Do a whole pound at once and refrigerate part of it to use later or freeze some for later. 

This time I added a new flavor.  I found roasted pecan syrup at Big Lots recently and it is really good on pancakes so I thought why not on bacon.  After placing the bacon on the rack of the pan, I brushed the slices with the roasted pecan syrup and baked it in a 375 degree oven until crisp.  Watch it carefully when baking for the sugar in the syrup will burn if you leave it in too long.  It was delicious!!!  Next time I am going to use several different syrups such as plain syrup, butter syrup and maple.  You could use whatever you wanted. 

There is no recipe for this but I preheat my oven to 375 degrees, place my bacon slices on the rack of your broiler pan or I put my cookie cooling racks in my baking pan and put in the oven.  It usually takes about 20 minutes but it will depend on the thickness of the bacon and your oven so try 350 degrees and 375 to see which works best.  If the bacon is thickly cut, I use the 350 degree oven so it will cook evenly. 

Place the slices close together or slightly overlapped on the racks for as they cook they will shrink.  Brush the slices with the syrup of your choice and bake until crisp.  I am going to brush both sides next time and will let you know how it works out.  Try this and let me know what you think.



This is the cooked bacon with fresh, red grapefruit from our tree in our backyard.  We are so proud of our grapefruit and orange trees this year for they are loaded and taste really sweet.  Guess what kind of Christmas baskets we will be giving this year.  Love living in South Georgia where we can grow our own citrus.

Let me know how you like the roasted pecan bacon or share what flavor you used.  It is so much easier than frying and shrinks less plus the top of the stove doesn't get all greasy. 

Ya'll come back to see us and be careful going home.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: