Grilled Dinner





Good evening and come in for a cold drink on this hot, hot summer day. The gnats are also out in full force today and I can take the hot but the gnats are horrible. I have got to find my insect repellent and apply heavily.

Last week I cooked a great dinner on a griddle like the one below. I forgot to take pictures so you will just have to use your imagination. We had grilled salmon fillets, grilled corn on the cob, and grilled peaches for dessert. The salmon fillets were frozen and I thawed them out in cold, salty water which thaws and hydrates. Place them on paper towels and dry them, place them on a plate, rub with olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Generously spray the grill side of the griddle with  olive oil and when hot, place the salmon on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side.

The salmon is ready when it is flaky when pierced with a fork.  The color will change but you don't want to cook it until it is tough. I flip mine with a spatula about 3 times to be sure there are grill marks on both sides.  Serve with additional lemon slices and cocktail sauce.

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Remove the shucks and silks from the corn.
Wrap each cob in plastic wrap
Microwave about 2 minutes per cob

Remove the plastic wrap, rub with butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and place on hot griddle which has been sprayed with olive oil.  Turn with tongs until there are grill marks on all sides.  These were delicious and we added a little more butter before eating. I cut off the kernels from the leftover cob and added it to my salsa recipe.

Grilled Peach Halves

Wash the peaches but do not peel.  Cut in half and remove the peach pit or seed.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar on the cut side, place cut side down on grill and cook for about 5 minutes.  They are ready to eat when they have grill marks, the sugar has partially caramalized and are heated throughout. You can eat with the peeling left on or peel it off.  It will slip off easily after they are grilled.

I wanted a grilled flat bread to eat with the meal and did not have any so I used sandwich thins.

Grilled Sandwich Thins

Divide the bread into the 2 halves
Spray generously with olive oil
Sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning which you have rubbed between your palms

Place cut side down on hot grill which has be sprayed with olive oil and grill until hot - flipping so grill marks will be on both sides.  These were very good.

I served this meal with fresh, field peas and a tossed salad.











This is the corn and black bean salsa I make to serve as a condiment or as a dip for taco chips.  We like the "dipper" style for it holds lots of salsa.

Corn and Black Bean Salsa

1 large jar salsa- mild, medium, or hot
1 can black beans, drained and washed until the water is clear
1 can niblet corn - drained
1 clove garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice - about 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup finely chopped green tomato (optional but it is good)
Salt and pepper to taste and you can add chopped, fresh cilantro if you wish

Mix the salsa, black beans and corn.  Grate the garlic over the mixture, add the lemon juice and chopped green tomato and combine.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Store in glass jar or plastic container. 

A good snack is to place the dipper chips on a baking sheet, place about 1 Tablespoon of the salsa in each chip, sprinkle with grated cheese of choice and place under the broiler for a few minutes - until cheese is melted. 

Try these and let me know what you think for we surely enjoyed them and did not have to stand outside in the hot weather to grill.  These griddle/grill combos are great.  Also, I put my olive oil in a spray bottle and it is so easy to spray pans, baking sheets or food with an even coat. 

One other recipe I tried today is really good. I found it on Pinterest at this site and we enjoyed it.  It is ice cream with 1 ingredient - bananas and you can add unsweetened cocoa and or peanut butter.  I used the chocolate.  This is the link to the recipe and it is scrumptious.
http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/

Come back to see me and happy cooking and good eating.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach



1 comment:

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Yum,yum and yum! I am trying all of the above! I have to get a grill pan...my daughter has one and loves it. Thanks for sharing these recipes...it's only 6:40 am and I want some corn!