EMOTIONAL SEAS


We always enjoy coming to St. Augustine and spending as much time as we can on the beach.  This is where I can hear God speaking to me through the waves washing on shore, the sound of the wind blowing around me, and the feel of the sand beneath my feet.  This week has been an emotional time for me with both ups and downs but walking the beach several times a day has comforted me as I heard His voice speaking through His creation.

Soon after we arrived at my "happy place", I had a message that a dear friend had left this earth and entered his heavenly home.  I knew that Ronnie had just this week had been diagnosed with cancer and the prognosis was not good.  Having been through this same experience with Roy, I knew that the months ahead for he and his family would be almost unbearable at times. I dreaded the days ahead for Ronnie and his family and friends as we would pray for healing but know that "perfect healing" from the Lord could be the answer.


After we read the message that he had left here and entered Heaven, I again turned to the sea for answers and peace.  It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and warm as a late, spring day with the waves gently washing the sands and my feet as I walked.

Memories flooded my mind of the many times that Ronnie and Janet with many of our other friends from our church in Adel, went on mission trips together.  They were wonderful days spent doing construction, remodeling, backyard Bible groups, witnessing about our Lord and having lots of laughter.  We worked hard but enjoyed the companionship and knowing the satisfaction of helping others.

I wish we had kept a list of all the wheelchair ramps that Ronnie, Tony, Roy, Mr. Henry, Steve and other men in the "Men of Action" group have built in Cook Country GA.  Anytime a ramp was needed and the person could not afford to have one built, these men would gather on a Saturday morning and build the ramp for them, at no charge except a "thank you".

These men led our church in numerous mission projects in Adel, Cook county, Atlanta, upper state New York,  and many other places.  Entire families went and worked on these projects and we always did it freely and praising the Lord.  Many people have new roofs, porches, houses painted, yards cleaned, a kitchen remodeled at a children's home, and other repairs that these Men of Action enjoyed doing.  They were a joyous and happy group that liked working together and including all who would help but always giving a testimony to their Lord and Savior.


Most of all I will miss the warm smile and hug I received from Ronnie when I would see him at church for he was a faithful member and was a deacon, SS teacher, and anything else he was asked to do.  He enjoyed visiting the sick, shut-ins, and visitors with our ministerial staff and always willing to tell anyone about the Lord.  We knew that he and Janet would be in their place on Sundays worshiping and praising God.

All of these wonderful memories came flooding back  as I walked the beach and grieved for those who have gone to their heavenly home - Mr. Henry Giddens, Roy Robson, and now Ronnie Alligood.  I know they are praising the Lord and waiting for those of us left behind to join them when our time comes.

As I listened to the waves this week and heard God speak, it gave me peace to know that we know where Ronnie and our other friends are and that we must continue the ministry they so enjoyed.  Thank you Father, for the comfort, peace and joy you give me through your presence and your voice in the wind and the waves.

We say goodbye to Ronnie for a little while, knowing we will see him again some day.


No comments: