New Friends






 New Friends 

Good morning everyone and a happy Friday to those who still work.  For those of us who are retired, ‘Happy whatever day it is, for I have difficulty knowing which day and really don’t care.” Retirement can be freeing but sometimes confusing as to the day and time.  Oh well, not that important.


I have a whole new circle of friends who I have not seen but they care about me and call me every day.  Their last name is also a mystery but that is alright for they do tell me for whom they are working.  Their employers are varied and some work for more than one and that must be hard for them.  Keeping up with all of these different companies must be mind boggling.  Oh well, I am sure they are doing a good job for they keep calling me every day and sometimes multiple times a day.  


So let me tell you about my new friends.  They are Emily who works for several companies but travel advisor is her major job, Joe is my hearing administrator, Andrea, bless her heart has several and calls for Medicare, and my car warranty.  Rachael is most concerned about my credit card being misused, Joe also calls about my medicare and my hearing which means he doesn’t know I already have hearing aids.  Maybe I need to tell him.  Kristie is another medicare advisor and so is Roger.  Medicare advisors must have jillions of people needing advice for I get several per day.  


The one who seems the most friendly is Frank.  He calls for the police and fireman funds and knows me by my first name and that I am married to Lindsay.  I would like to meet him since he is always so happy when I answer the phone and he doesn’ t have to use his recording machine voice.  He said he would rather talk to a real person and you can hear the smile in his voice.  


I met a new friend last week and her name is Bella and today I met Natalie.  So glad these companies have some new people working for them because it increases my circle of friends. We can always use some more of these “this is a recorded line” people.  


It is interesting they all begin the conversation with “This is Andrea on a recorded line, can you hear me now?”  Then there is Frank who always asks for Frances and when I fib and say she is not here, he says “Well let me talk to Lindsay.” I am beginning to think he will talk to anyone who will listen. 


These new friends must travel a lot because they call from different numbers every phone call.  I have noticed that one or two are here in Adel sometimes.  Wonder why they don’t drop by for a visit.  What was really surprising was the one I got from my own number!  I know I didn’t see her or give her my phone.  A real mystery.   


By now, I am sure you know I am writing this about telemarketers and robocalls. It is not funny but sometimes you have to laugh about a situation or throw something against the wall and I choose the former.  If I don’t recognize the number, I usually don’t answer but in some cases I am thinking it could be someone I know because the number is familiar.  Hanging up after the first sentence doesn’t seem to tell them I don’t want any more calls or pressing the 1.  I know not to give out any information about me, my credit card, bank even if they tell me they are federal law enforcement.  The other day, a woman told me I was being investigated and a warrant was being issued for suspicious activity on my Amazon account.  I hung up and checked my account and of course, it was fine.  


99.9 percent of the time I let it ring until it goes to my voicemail but sometimes I will just listen until they ask me a question.  This keeps them busy for a few minutes and from calling the next person. When you get older, you take your entertainment wherever you can, especially if it is free.  


Ya’ll have a great day and have a little fun and smile.  You look a whole lot better with a smile than a frown. 


The Georgia Peach and Bama Girl







No comments: