PROUD TO HAVE A SOUTHERN ACCENT


Someone recently told me that they liked my Southern accent and I was so flattered for I do know that I have one for I have never lived anywhere but the Southern United States. This led me to thinking about my accent and how it reflects who I am and thus to this blog posting. Sit back, drink some sweet iced tea or big cup of coffee, and reflect with me. There is a pound cake if you would like a slice.

My hometown is Camden, AL in Wilcox County Alabama and I recently learned that we have a unique accent which is recognized by some who study sociolinguistics. Our accent tends to be slower and has no "Rs". This makes it softer sounding and less harsh than some accents. I think it is wonderful and warm and wraps you up in the Southern atmosphere of love and warmth.

Just so all ya'll know, as if you didn't, I have this Southern Accent from South Alabama and I am not going to change at this late date in my life. Of course, I am not going to tell you how old I am for there are three things a Southern Lady does not reveal – her age, weight or how many pairs of shoes she hides from her husband. We have to keep some mystery in or lives to make us interesting.

For some of us the original color of our hair will forever be our secret but I decided to let everyone know I have white hair – not gray, silver or platinum blonde, but white. Originally it was black as coal (as daddy used to say) but due to genes from my granddaddy I began to turn gray at an early age. Lady Clairol and I were great friends for many years but I eventually said, I will just be natural and I kind of like my white hair. It is interesting that many other ladies are letting their white or silver hair shine for all the world to see and welcome to my world of natural beauty. Makes me easy to find in a crowd and I don't have to worry about my roots showing (heaven forbid). You also get discounts without being asked if you are over 50 and I will take those discounts all the time.

Now back to my subject of my Southern accent but as you know, I will sometimes change subjects in mid-sentence due to my ADD so you will have to learn to go with me whatever rabbit I am chasing.

I say ya'll, fixin to, yes mam, no mam, yes sir and no sir and ya'll come back to see us.  I will call you sweethaht, dahling, deah, sugah, baby and hug you with affection when we meet. I will bless your heart and mean every word of it. I don't have an “r” in my language unless absolutely necessary for I think it is a harsh sound and being soft and Southern, I don't need it. You can hear the smile in my accent and smell the honeysuckle and magnolia as it wraps you up in the sounds of the South.

Other than my accent, my Southern brothers and sisters have a few other differences from the rest of the world. I will have tears in my eyes when I sing or hear the national anthem and say the Pledge of Allegiance with pride.  I am a Christian, go to church to worship the Lord and will tell you that I will pray for you and mean exactly what I say. I am proud to be a Christian and an American and it saddens me to see both of these beliefs being challenged by political and social correctness. That is another posting so I will move on.

Because I am a Lady from the South, and pretty independent, I can pretty well take care of myself though I do love to have a man open doors for me, love me, and take care of me. However, if the occasion arises, I can kill a snake by shooting his head off with my 410 shotgun or with my pistol, I can change a tire on my car, mow the grass, trim the shrubbery, drive a nail, clean a fish, cook wild game and hunt. We usually have a little “Huckleberry Finn” mixed with our “Steel Magnolia” which makes us a combination of strong, adventurous, soft and smelling good.

Cooking is a joy and learned from our mamas, grandmothers, aunts and all those other sweet ladies from our childhood who helped raise us. Pound cakes, pecan (pe-cahn) pies, sweet potato souffle, biscuits, cornbread, peas, butter beans, and potato salad, pear salad. ambrosia, fruit cake and tea cakes to name a few. We cook enough for a big family and cooking for a few is difficult for us for we love to feed people. It is our gifts of love for our family and company in our home or to carry and share with our friends. The kitchen is usually the center of the family and coffee and sweet tea are usually ready at all times unless you are a Diet Coke person like me. We love to say, “Ya'll come on in and have a cup of coffee or glass of tea.” You know a true Southerner never asks if you want sweet tea for it is assumed that is what you drink and for those of you who drink unsweetened, “Bless your hearts”.

With our sweet accents, we will care for you when you are sick, take you a meal, babysit your children, give you a big hug, cry with you when you are sad, and laugh with you when you are glad. We are a caring bunch of people and it is not nosiness when we ask questions but wanting to help if we can for most Southern Ladies want to "fix what is wrong with you" or at least try. Our shoulders are strong and carry big loads as well as small ones.

Southern Ladies with our sweet accents, are strong as steel, soft as cotton, sweet smelling as honeysuckle, gracious, hospitable, and loving. I love my accent, if I have one, for I just sound like me and most of my friends and it doesn't sound strange or an indication of ignorance. It reflects who we are and our Southern Gentleman love us just like we are.

Reflection is over for today but come back soon and we will reflect some more.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach






No comments: