Southern Baths

Good morning, ya'll. It is a little chilly here but not cold and going to get warmer which makes me happy. I am trying to write with my admin cat, Bumper, in my lap attempting to help. He thinks his ideas are better than mine and he wants me to stop typing and pet him. Meanwhile he is taking his morning bath in my lap and looking at the screen occasionally to see if he approves.

Taking a bath reminds me of our childhood baths. Remember when we were children we moved into a house out in the country and did not have a complete bathroom. We had running water from our own well into the kitchen sink,a lavatory and tub in the 1 bathroom so bathing consisted of a sink of warm water, washcloth, and Ivory soap or heated water poured in the tub. This however was no excuse not to be clean for mama inspected every nook and cranny of our bodies to see if we had washed it thoroughly. If not, the washrag was soaped and applied liberally by her and sometimes is wasn't gently for we knew to get it right the first time. You see mama and daddy believed with all their hearts that cleanliness was right up there next to Godliness.

Now summer was better for we had a #3 wash tub daddy would fill with water from the well and place it in the sun early in the morning. The solar heat (updated expression) would warm it and bath time later in the day was enjoyed by all. Now since I was the only girl, the oldest, and the resident princess, I got to go first. Then the boys would bathe in the same water and together. They would have a splashing good time with Arvin always giving Sam heck splashing him and getting it in his eyes. Of course Arvin thought this was hilarious and laughed and laughed.

This was a great time for us and we didn't think we were at any disadvantage. There were other kids we knew that had the same bathing facilities we did and we kind of thought everybody bathed like that. Also in the summer we would play in the rain if it wasn't lightning and after we had played in all the mud puddles, mama would give us a bar of soap, washrag, and shampoo and tell us to get clean. Rainwater was a great hair conditioner and my hair would feel so soft and clean after the rain shower. Sometimes mama would save rainwater just to rinse our hair - the first conditioner and God made.

I am writing this with a smile on my face for we had a great childhood in rural Alabama. It was a fairly simple life with hard work and being frugal and not charging stuff, no credit cards, but lots of love and security. I will say we were glad when we got running water in the tub, a hot water heater and a flushing toilet. The outhouse account will come later as written by brother Sam.

Ya'll have a good day and wish my dad a happy 94th birthday. I am going to buy him a coconut cake and fried chicken for lunch. That's right, you heard me, a store bought cake and fried chicken. After all I have learned a few things in my old age.

Nuff said,
The Georgia Peach

No comments: