Extra Special Baked Chicken











Good morning, ya'll. Come on in for a cup of coffee on a misty, fall day. Still warm down here but not in the 90's. It looks like fall, but feels like summer and I like it. I do not look forward to winter for as I grow older it makes my joints hurt. Arthur-itis and Burt-sitis visit often and they are not welcome visitors. Enough of that for you didn't come to visit for a"joint" recital.

Monday I cooked a pretty good meal and took a basic recipe for baked chicken and played around with it and concocted a good recipe. I am also sharing my salad recipe we use when the vine-ripened tomatoes are gone for the winter. Apples take the place of tomatoes and don't knock it til you try it.

Roy said it was a keeper and even though he eats most anything I cook, he said this was worth sharing with you.

Savory Baked Chicken

I chicken (cut up) or 6 chicken breast - I like bone-in breast for the bone adds flavor
1 package dried onion soup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 lemon - juiced (2-3 Tbsp)

Mix all ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl. Add chicken pieces and gently turn pieces to coat with sauce. Place in baking pan which has been sprayed with cooking oil or lined with foil. Sprinkle with Cayenne pepper for heat and color. Adjust for your taste - a lot or a little.

Place in pre-heated, 350 degree oven for approximately 45 min. Turn after about 30 minutes to brown the other side. The chicken will be lightly browned when done.

I served this with rice cooked in chicken broth (bought) and used the sauce for gravy.
The next day I took the leftover rice added the leftover chicken and some chicken broth and made a casserole. I chopped the chicken in large chunks and used bought chicken broth. It was very good.

Now that summer is gone, it is hard to get good tomatoes for our tossed salads. We eat lots of these so I have concocted this recipe for a salad without tomatoes and cucumbers.

After the Tomatoes are Gone - Salad

Prepare by the individual bowl or a large bowl

Spring mix lettuce
Chopped onion
Sliced then diced apple
Thinly sliced carrots
Grated cheese - your choice but I like cheddar

Options: Sliced cauliflower, broccoli or broccoli slaw mix.

I slice the apple in vertical slices to have as much of the peel as I can. Slice these into thin strips and chop roughly or leave in thin strips. Thinly slice the carrot. Roughly chop the onion.
Fill the bowls with the lettuces and sprinkle with the apple, carrots, onion and grated cheese. Serve with your favorite dressing. A raspberry vinaigrette is especially good with it. I am going to add some mandarin oranges next time for I think that would be a good addition.

Ya'll enjoy and have a home cooked meal, get the family around the table, cut off the TV and have some good eating and family time. We uses to spend hours around the kitchen table just eating and talking and eating and drinking sweet, iced tea. Precious hours together and many good memories. The table is still there and we still gather to eat and talk and miss those gone on but treasure the memories.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach


No comments: