Comfort Food


Good evening and come on in for a visit.  It has been a beautiful day and unseasonably warm for February but those who know me know this is fine with me.  Flip flops, capris and a t shirt weather is wonderful.  It makes me want to begin planting a garden but I know it is too early for Daddy says until Easter we could have cold weather.  Guess I will have to plan what I am going to do and get ready.

I thought I would share a favorite recipe of our family that we have enjoyed since childhood and still do.  We have carried this tradition right on down to our children and grandchildren and it is still enjoyed by most of us.  It is Hamburger Gravy and is like sausage gravy but we use hamburger or deer burger for the meat.  Mama used to make it using the hamburger for we raised cows and had lots of beef but not a lot of pork for we didn't raise pigs much.  This was a favorite breakfast or supper dish for us and mama would serve it with grits and homemade biscuits and we would eat with gusto. 

A couple of weeks ago our nephew was visiting us at the home place in Alabama and when Delaine said we were having hamburger gravy for breakfast he lit up like a Christmas tree.  He used to ask mama to cook it for him when he was a little boy and still likes it. 

It is also a good way to take a pound of hamburger and feed a whole bunch of people and I even like to eat it cold.  Mama would leave it on the kitchen table and before lunch someone would have taken a cold biscuit and finished it off.  I know you will like it and if you don't have time to make fresh biscuits the frozen ones are just as good and it is also good with fresh, hot toast.  Enjoy.

Hamburger Gravy

1 lb. hamburger - if you use deer burger or ground chuck, you will need to add about 3 tablespoons of oil to make the roux
3 Tbs. flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: powdered garlic, onion salt, a little Worcestershire sauce
You can also use hamburger and sausage meats - about 1/2 pound of each

Begin browning the hamburger meat in large skillet (I like to use a cast iron skillet) and when it has slightly browned add the flour.  I put my flour in a sieve and sift it over the meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper so it will cook into the meat and stir the meat and flour until the meat is browned and add the milk a little at the time stirring constantly. Use a whisk for easier incorporation of the milk. Stir until it begins to thicken and taste to see if additional salt and pepper are needed.  This is when you can add the optional ingredients and I usually add some garlic powder.  Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or until thick.  If you like a thinner gravy, add more milk a little at the time. 
Serve over hot grits or split hot biscuits and enjoy.  This is comfort food at its best.

Let me know what you think and ya'll be careful going home and come back to see me soon.

Nuff said,

The Georgia Peach

No comments: