When I Am Afraid


Dear Lord, sitting outside in the quiet of the late afternoon, listening to the quiet sounds of birds settling in their nests for the night, a brief splash of a fish in the pond, watching the sun set in lovely pinks and blues, I am fearful of tomorrow and the days after.  The world is fighting a microscopic enemy named Covid 19, a deadly virus and I am tired, weary and afraid. 

Because we are isolated from our friends and family, we are lonely and disheartened.  Friends die and we cannot have funerals, they are sick and we can’t visit, financial difficulties plague their businesses and livelihood and the list goes on.  We try to comfort by social media, notes and phone calls but is that enough?

Father, I plead with you  each and every day to remove this virus from our world and you don’t seem to hear me.  I have begged for your mercy but it is still here and illness and death continue to multiply around us.  Have you not heard me?  Why don’t you answer me?  Are you there?

In desperation, I turned to your Word and began to search for a message from you to ease my fears and give me courage to face the coming days.  You, oh Father, led me to  James 1:6
“But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind”.  As I have prayed, begged and pleaded, have I doubted that you could take this virus away?  Am I being blown and tossed about by the news on the TV and Internet?  Have I listened to negative people who don’t know you and the salvation that you have for them?  Am I like the waves of the sea tossed around by the news media not always telling the truth?  What can I believe? I must believe in you and you alone for you are the creator and have it all under your control even when I don’t see your plan.  Your plan is perfect, Lord give me faith. 

Is there any help for me, oh Lord? Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? “ Here is your answer and why have I not remembered?  You are the light in the darkness and my eternal salvation so why do I fear anything in this world?.  You are my strength when I am weakened by doubts and fears of the unknown and I should not be afraid of anyone or anything. You will light my way and give me the strength to walk in the confidence that you, oh Lord are my strength and my salvation. 

Isaiah 26:3  tells me  “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!”, Thank you dear Father for the perfect peace which will calm my fears, give me joy even in the middle of the storm, and may I keep my thoughts focused on you and not the world with all its noise and tumult. 

Psalm 91:1-2 “Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.”  Forgive me Father for not remembering that we are sheltered in you and find rest in your shadow.  You are our safe place, our God and Father and my trust is in you alone.  Forgive me for being afraid and showing a lack of trust in your love and care for me and all your children.  

I praise you Father God for being there for me even when I doubt and am afraid.  You are my refuge, my fortress and my deliverer.  I love you and praise your Holy Name.  I praise you for even now answering my prayers. 
Amen and Amen

















No comments: