GONE FISHING



I love to go fishing like my Granddaddy Burt Williamson.  He would go every day except Sunday, if at all possible, and I do the same. If he passed a pond on his way home from work, he stopped, got one of his many rods out of the trunk of the car, and went fishing.  He did not eat fish but would take the “keepers” home for Grandmother or give them to a sister, cousin or someone he thought needed them.  He just loved fishing and I do too.


FRONT POND THIS MORNING WITH THE MIST RISING



BACK POND 


It is wonderful that we have 2 ponds in our yard - one in the front and one in the back so I don’t have to go looking for a “fishin’ hole.”  Our pond in the front has bass and bream but most of them are small.  There are some bigger ones in there but they don’t like to bite and we are most likely overstocked.  This means I have to either fish it out or start feeding them.

The back pond has been here for many years and was dug as an irrigation pond and is very, very deep.  Not sure how deep but not going to dive in and see.  It is so deep the water looks black even though it is clear as glass.  There are a jillion little fish in it and some large ones that don’t like to bite.  Occasionally we catch a catfish but mostly we catch small perch or bream.  It is fun to try and eat those who are big enough to keep.


WAITING FOR THAT BITE



LOOKS BIGGER THAN IT WAS


 This morning I went early to see if they would bite but didn’t catch but one little fish which I threw back to grow bigger.  It is colder today than it has been and I think they all went to the bottom to stay warm but I have found that fish react to most changes in the weather by going to the bottom.  Whatever their problem was, I didn’t catch but one little fish and the turtles were not even biting.

 Not sure what it is about fishing that completely wipes away my tiredness, gives me peace, relaxes me and a time and place to commune with the Lord.  I think I have discovered why our granddaddy fished every day and that was to unwind, re-create his soul and find peace and relaxation.

 I hope this afternoon they will bite or maybe we can go out to the lake at Reed Bingham State Park and see if we can catch a few big ones for we have only a few in the freezer.  

Come and go with me sometimes for it is a wonderful way to spend some time and occasionally you are rewarded with a fresh fish to eat.

Gone fishing,
The Georgia Peach





No comments: