Cleanliness is indeed next to godliness”
(From a John Wesley's 1778 sermon)





Good morning from South Georgia!  I assume you are wondering why I have a picture of a dirty duster at the top of my posting.  Why am I airing my “dirty duster” for the whole world to see?  Not sure but am going to share a few deep, dark secrets with you today.

There are a few chores I don’t like to do or rather I despise to do - dusting, unloading the dishwasher, folding and putting up clean clothes, and cleaning the bathroom.  Now I know you are saying, “Shame on you for you are blessed to have a house to dust, clothes to fold and a bathroom to clean.” and I am thankful but I still don't like to do these chores.  

Dusting seems like a waste of time to me for when I dust it appears again and again.  No matter how often I dust, it just reappears!  It seems to grow in size also for the dust makes dust bunnies which makes dust rabbits and they make huge dust jackrabbits.  How do I know this?  They all seem to reproduce under my bed and sofas.  So most of the time I just leave them be to have their fun or set my robo vacuum on them but it died yesterday.  Bless its heart, the battery just wore slap out and I had to turn to my trusty Amazon to order one.  It won’t be here for a couple of days so it is up to me to tackle this job.

Now this is a most inopportune time for this to happen for hurricane Dorian is slowly inching up the east coast of Florida and we have a condo in St. Augustine FL.  We had to completely remodel after hurricane Matthew and have it looking great and now here comes Dorian.  We are praying it does not dump another 4 feet of water in our second home but there is always the chance that it will dump water inside the condo. We now have the clean-up company and a contractor on speed dial waiting for our call.  I hope we don’t have to make those calls for really don’t want to redecorate this soon.  Every couple of years is ridiculous, so how about you hurricanes stay away.  

Now what does that have to do with me dusting my house in Georgia?  It seems that the barometric pressure has a strange effect on me.  As the pressure rises, so does my desire to clean and clean.  I hurry and get my trusty swifty duster thing, the broom, vacuum cleaner, dust pan and anything else I have to clean with and begin to frantically sweep, dust, vacuum, mop and maybe even wash a few windows.  I finally drop from exhaustion and survey my clean house that will stay that way for about a minute and then that dust begins to creep right back in and cover everything, grow large clumps which grow into bunnies, rabbits and jackrabbits. They just love to reproduce under the bed. 

Well, it is clean for the moment and it needed it for it has been awhile since the last hurricane came our way.  Now, to begin baking for that is my next stress reliever.  Wish these severe changes in weather would go away for it sure does mess with my head and energy level.  

There are three reasons I will clean my house until it is spotless - bad weather coming our way, angry with someone or something, and important company is coming.  It has to be severe weather, extreme anger and most distinguished company to turn on my cleaning and baking urges but it does happen occasionally.  

Now don’t get the idea I don’t clean my house or bake occasionally but my smart Southern Mama said if I can live in it, you should be able to visit for awhile.  Come by and see for yourself but call first so I can at least get the dishes clean, clean clothes put in a basket and hidden in the closet, and dust that you can see swept away.  Just don’t look under the bed, open a closet door or do a white glove inspection of the furniture.  By the way, I can’t see the top of my refrigerator so don’t ever look up there.  

Got to go clean some more for Dorian is headed for St. Augustine and we may get some rain and wind here in South Georgia. 

Frances 

No comments: